Ice Bergs, Lakers, Grilled Sausages, and a Football.

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Ice Bergs, Lakers, Grilled Sausages, and a Football.

Post by Detritus »

Launched the Country Angler this morning on our own private boat launch, on our own private lake. AKA, Converse and Lake Champlain in the middle of January with 3" of slush on the ground.

Nice calm conditions to start for us. Crew was the most usual of the usual suspects, of Brody, Liam, and myself. It was kind of interesting seeing the temperature change as you went up in elevation in the mountains. You didn't have to go up very high, and the trees were frozen.

IMAG1481.jpg
IMAG1481.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

We trolled around a bit, set up a spread of 90' deep spoons with a cheater halfway down, and two more at about 40 with cheaters halfway down those. 2 leadcore planers, 3 colors down.

First few fish that hit were Lakers, not real big, not real small. Then Brody got his first salmon of the year.

IMAG1483.jpg
IMAG1483.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

About that time, we got hailed by our trusty weekend fishing buddy Dilly Worm on the radio, as he was coming out to play. After finding the fish in the usual spots, we decided to check a few of our other fishing spots from spring and summer, a little farther south, see what was going on down there.

We pulled our lines, and headed down to the swift estate, and just looked around on the sonar. Looked like copy paper with a yellow line on the bottom. Headed over to Diamond island, and was much the same there, until we found some good marks, and set up a spread.

Only fish biting down there were baby Lakers.

However, it was kind of cool conditions down there. Fishing through and around ice bergs.

IMAG1488.jpg
IMAG1488.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
IMAG1487.jpg
IMAG1487.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Liam even had to jump up and reel in a planer board so we didn't get caught on one. Different experience compared to fishing in July.

Headed back up north, and found our hot spot again, and Brody got his second salmon of the year.

IMAG1493.jpg
IMAG1493.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

The sun came out a bit, and Liam missed his second master angler Laker of the year by 1".

IMAG1495.jpg
IMAG1495.jpg (85.19 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

It was time to get out the grill, and we made some sausages, grapes, clementines, cut peppers, and whatever those green things were that Brody was eating.

IMAG1501.jpg
IMAG1501.jpg (101.23 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
IMAG1502.jpg
IMAG1502.jpg (88.95 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

New piece of gear in that picture. We spent some time playing with that today, watching the speed and depth change as we adjusted our GPS speed. We're learning it slowly, but I can see how those things become essential trolling gear. And we don't even care about temperature this time of the year.

Two fishing patterns today that were different from last week, was not a bite on the leadcore planers. Also, hardly any on cheaters, almost all rigger fish. The exact opposite of last week.

We trolled away from our hot spot to cook lunch uninterrupted, and went back through it after we were done eating. Fish were all still there, but not interested in eating metal this time through.

A few hundred more yards later, we decided to pull the lines, and head home, mildly disappointed to end the day on such a boring note. But, I reminded the boys that sometimes you'll get a release as your pulling lines for the day.

They agreed, and said we're pulling those stupid planer boards first, they haven't done a thing all day. As they were doing that, the fish hawk rigger fires, and Liam was up. All three of us were on deck at that point, curious to see what ripped the Crazy Ivan Crazy Ivan out of its release, 95 feet down in the middle of the lake.

Saw a big flash, and that's where the football comes in.

IMAG1504.jpg
IMAG1504.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

That's a football. The thing was only 22 inches long, but it was so fat. We didn't weigh it, but, I bet it was 5 lbs. We adopted Ron's bucket trick this trip, and it's definitely nice not to have to rush around so much. Only drawback is the water splashing all over the deck from the fiesty fish, but, it's nice to see it breathing while you stow the net, get the camera out, etc.

That was an exciting fish and a great end to the day. There was a little post script fish for Brody too, just to make sure he wasn't first up next trip.

IMAG1505.jpg
IMAG1505.jpg (67.69 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Today's final count was 14 for 17, 3 salmon. All fish released healthy. Crazy Ivan's were the lures that produced when run deep, 90-100' down, about 120' of cable out on the rigger, 15 lb leadballs with wingers, running 2.5-3mph GPS. Had less luck with stick baits, and larger spoons today. Some fish did come off of riggers set at about 45.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
digitroll (ron)

Re: Ice Bergs, Lakers, Grilled Sausages, and a Football.

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great report Jack and crew! Nice football too! Glad you added the X4-D! Thats a weapon. You guys had a great day!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Another great report from the Country angler!!
That fishhawk will double your hookups!!!

Thanks for sharing Jack. We will be there tomorrow.... :D
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

wow, nice football !

I must have been away from the radio and didn't realize you guys caught it (probably was fighting my "big one" then)

congrats
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

VERY NICE READ!

But a "pocket" of different water temperature could be more important this time of year than most people realize ;)
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Awesome day!
\Yes that Salmon sure classifies as a Football!!
Hoiping to get out there tomorrow.
Be safe all.

Best,
Ej
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Great to see kids having fun and enjoying fishing.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Jack have your son enter his 22" salmon in the Master Angler program. Min. salmon is 24" for adult and 20" for youth.

https://vtfishandwildlife.com/node/490
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

tamiron wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 pm VERY NICE READ!

But a "pocket" of different water temperature could be more important this time of year than most people realize ;)
Here's another fun fact: when Jim gives out a tip on how to catch fish, I pay attention.

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Ron, I did enter that salmon into the master angler program already, I just forgot to include that in the report. I try to include everything I can think of when writing these things, but, often times I'm pretty beat, and am not functioning at my best, haha.

We got our start reading these reports, maybe somebody else will get theirs from reading ours.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Great report Jack & Crew.
Frostbiters true to heart.

Kathy & I did a picnic lunch in the car down at Basin Harbor dock 2-4:14 and did not see one bird in the air or on the water the whole time. Not even a duck in the harbor? Did see a Laker I suppose swirl the surface off the dock. Tim Erikson has been casting and catching some from there.
Very much enjoy your outings.

comment on Fishhawk: Great investment to your information stream. As Jim noted temp pockets will show up more frequent if you look. 40.5 degrees today. The lake turns over at 39 deg when water becomes most dense and the top falls to the bottom bringing surface oxygen down. As the top becomes more cold and less dense you get ICE.

Stay Positive, Test Negative, Randy
Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your post Jack.
Another bunch of smiling faces on those pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Brimstone Troller
Species: Trout/Salmon/Bass

Post by Brimstone Troller »

Nice job! Definitely jealous wish the lake was closer for me!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Surprise wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 am Great report Jack & Crew.
Frostbiters true to heart.

Kathy & I did a picnic lunch in the car down at Basin Harbor dock 2-4:14 and did not see one bird in the air or on the water the whole time. Not even a duck in the harbor? Did see a Laker I suppose swirl the surface off the dock. Tim Erikson has been casting and catching some from there.
Very much enjoy your outings.

comment on Fishhawk: Great investment to your information stream. As Jim noted temp pockets will show up more frequent if you look. 40.5 degrees today. The lake turns over at 39 deg when water becomes most dense and the top falls to the bottom bringing surface oxygen down. As the top becomes more cold and less dense you get ICE.

Stay Positive, Test Negative, Randy

The insight in this reply took 3 reads to fully comprehend... Thanks Randy.

Fish on Captain!
Matt B
Dawickin Around
Species: All

Post by Dawickin Around »

Nice work out there! And congrats to the young man who caught that salmon! Big smiles all around is what it's all about.