Port Henry - Jan 01 2021

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry - Jan 01 2021

Post by ChessieMan »

Happy New Year all!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful day to be on the water, Scott and I rolled into PH launch about 7:30 the sun was just tinting the horizon edge orange and there was a soft southwest breeze - even better, after last week's adventure at Converse - was a dry, ice free ramp - we took our time launching and rigging rods before blasting up to the 100' line. Two riggers, 2 dipsys down and wet by 8AM and a 21" laker by 08:05 - Now, this is the way to go!

Imageimg upload

We continued to work the 80-100 FoW edge and started a slow pick on lakers, the dipsy with a Sun Rise Speedi was popping with some regularity until 9Am, then the bite shifted a little deeper to riggers and a black/purple MP6 HB was the ticket - for a 2 hour period, I don't think we went more than 10 minutes without a bite and had 2 doubles. There were stacks of fish from 65-100' and I ran 1 rigger right at the top - but had nothin g to show for it - don't have any idea what they were, but there were a lot of 'em.

Got hit by a little lull around 11 so we raided the food bag - goose jerky followed by pulled pork in sauerkraut accented with with a touch of kimchi - Oooh so nice!

Just as we were cleaning our dishes, the port rigger fires burying the rod tip - Oh Baby!!!!!!!!! - Scott's on the rod in a flash and it's "Oh Ed, this is a good one! I throttle down to a crawl and the fish is still taking line - Hmmm, Whatcha got here Scott?

I don't know, but you best get the net ready - AND you know what, we really did need it - not the longest laker ever on the Money Pit, but certainly one of the fattest and prettiest. - 28"

About 12:15, the wind changed and the bite stopped - like someone turned the switch to "Off" - we ran over the morning hotspots without a release and by 1PM, we surrendered - the count was 23 lakers on 30+ releases still no salmon, but who's complaining.

The question now is, "Is there one more "Frost bite" trip out there? There were guys on the ice at Bullwagga and South Bay - and I did get on the ice Wednesday afternoon on a small mountain pond - Too many choices
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Port Henry - Jan 01 2021

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Chessieman. Scott's lakers look very healthy.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Riverrunt
Species: Lakers and perch

Post by Riverrunt »

I would call that a happy New Year trip.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Glad you got into a lot of fish and nice to see there are some sizeable lakers still biting in the south lake. I haven't been down that way since November, might be time to head back there next trip...
ChessieMan wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 am
The question now is, "Is there one more "Frost bite" trip out there? There were guys on the ice at Bullwagga and South Bay - and I did get on the ice Wednesday afternoon on a small mountain pond - Too many choices
One more frostbite trip (or more) sounds like a great idea ! Hope to see you out there. With this heavy wet snow I'm still leery of getting on the ice yet... but thats just me.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
EagleEd7
Species: Trout

Post by EagleEd7 »

Putnam Pond is always ready early, but the road in there is full of ruts and cuts that really bang up your vehicle.

Eagle Ed
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

There is plenty of ice on South Bay - 5" of clear hard w/ a little crust - but, there are NO FISH there - 3 hours not a nibble - surrounded by 22 brother anglers w/80+ tip-ups and not a flag - SB is not on the "go back to" list.