2021 Shakedown

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

2021 Shakedown

Post by Detritus »

What a beautiful January day for fishing. Today's crew was just me and Liam. Launched out of converse a little after 7, saw Dilly Worm at the ramp, and finally met the Reelax crew in person.

We set lines right out in deep water, and trolled over to new York. Went south a while, and landed our only salmon of the day. Came on a 40' cheater, Crazy Ivan, Crazy Ivan.

IMAG1436.jpg
IMAG1436.jpg (107.79 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Lots of other fish today, Lakers boated, a few more lost. Biggest fish of the day was a 27" laker, close to 6 lbs. Liam's first Master Angler entry of 2021.

IMAG1447.jpg
IMAG1447.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 810 times

That fish came off of a spoon 70' down, up by the bouquet river.

Had Danish breakfast, then burgers for Liam and clam chowder for me later on.

IMAG1446.jpg
IMAG1446.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Lots of boats out today, and it was pretty cool to either be friends with, know, or acquainted with almost all of them. Radio was pretty quiet today, but heard some guys talking.

Here's Dilly cruising by.

IMAG1443.jpg
IMAG1443.jpg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 810 times

And of course these guys need no introduction.

IMAG1441.jpg
IMAG1441.jpg (80.94 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Our final count was 12 for 16 today, plenty of jumping out of seats and running outside to reel in fish. Really fun day. Good to share the water with some of you guys for the first time, and everybody else, another good time once again.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: 2021 Shakedown

Post by finsntins »

country angler crew of two getting it done!!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Good work out there guys! I’ve already decided next year, new top WITH BACK CURTAIN, and a kicker motor big enough to push us around. That way I can winterize the main motor once and then come up and play with the fleet all winter long. Keep fishing and writing reports it’s helping people like us that had to put the boats away cope with fishing withdrawals!
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

New tops are nice, but wicked expensive. My mother used to do marine canvas and upholstery, and I took my crummy top to her this fall. She replaced the zippers, and restitched all of the old seams. It still looks horrible, but functions perfect. You could take a lot of your material cost out of your project by just fixing up the old stuff maybe.

The other thing you might want to ask, is if the guy has left over scrap materials he could use to patch together parts and pieces for your boat. My back pieces are two different colors, and the plastic 2 different tints, because she had it lying around. My boat is never going to be a showgirl, I just wanted it to work well for cheap.

I did have her make new drop curtains for the back, and those plus the repairs to the old canvas have been a game changer. We haven't worn gloves, snow pants, or coats all winter while fishing.

In fact, I just bought a huge duffel bag from Amazon for $20 to stuff all of the cold weather gear we don't wear from all of the passengers on the boat. Waders, 2 - 3 pairs of snow pants, gloves 3-4 hats, winter coats, etc. The stuff used to get brought on the boat and spread out here and there by everybody, and never used. You have to bring it, but, at least it's just 1 big bag easily thrown around now.

As for your kicker bracket, I can't recommend enough getting a fixed bracket like I made, instead of buying an adjustable one. I could stand on my kicker now if my motor cowl was strong enough. My old stainless garelick one that is so highly rated online used to make me wonder when I was going to look back at see a splash as my beloved Honda 9.9 made a beeline for the bottom.

Just a couple of things to consider.

If you do go the fixed bracket route, just make sure you can tilt it up all the way, and you get it deep enough in the water when you mount it. If you get those right, there is absolutely no need for an adjustable bracket in my opinion.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats Liam on your first Master Angler entry of 2021. Nice laker.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Great report Jack. Good seeing you & Liam out there as always. Glad the trip up north to the Bouquet paid off !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !