Thanksgiving Morning

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Thanksgiving Morning

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Launched out of converse at day break and headed to Buckwheat and the tower stairs to fish the ledge in to bakers dock. For the early morning run we fished the top 25 feet, two mini disks and two riggers running at 20 and 25. We made one full pass with no takers and decided to set up a deep program also, so we set the two riggers deep with long lines running about 100 feet back. with in 5 minutes we had our first release which in a heart beat came out of the water 165 feet behind the boat, 3 more spectacular jumps that tangled both mini disks we netted (with a lot of luck) our first salmon of the morning.
4.jpg
4.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
0.jpg
0.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
We abandoned the shallow program and switched to four riggers deep and went to work covering that area. Three more small 17" salmon and a nice 22' salmon right off the point of Thompson's point.
My guest had never experienced a laker blitz and just to show him i trolled over to Split with a leadcore and a mini disc up high and the two riggers at
65' still. we picked up 3 more small 17" salmon and another healthy 22" salmon off the east part of point all 65 down. We did a quick 8 lake trout that for the most part came off the 4 colors of lead and the mini disk.
all told 17-20 with 9 salmon and 8 lake Trout.
This time of year we fish at the mercy of the wind gods, I have had to be patient this year. Hoping for some more calm early weekdays.
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Todd
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Re: Thanksgiving Morning

Post by ReelInvestment »

Awesome report! Been waiting to see what crazy ivan has been up to! Beautiful fish.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Deer season or not... after getting your text yesterday, plans went into motion to come out of the woods long enough for a float Monday. Hope to see you and Molly out for our usual Monday Socially Distanced salmon fest!!! That looks like a big male who had no interest in spawning this year.. not surprised you found him...

Congrats Todd.....
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Is this one of your lures?
IMAG1273.jpg
IMAG1273.jpg (96.08 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
We ran lots of stuff all over the place today, this one had 2 salmon on. Only lure that did out of the 12 or so we had in the water.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Jack that is what we call a bruised Plum. We make one but i can not be 100% sure that is ours. Looks like the first edition wher pat was putting the dots on by hand.
Todd
Todd
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Well, we have a pile of Crazy Ivan's and Honey Bees, but, once they're out of the package, I immediately forget the names. This one must be one of yours, and it got one of my daughters her first salmon this morning.
IMAG1263.jpg
IMAG1263.jpg (109.88 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Thanks for that Todd.

Jack
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Thanks for this fascinating report ! I launched in the same spot a few hours later and had very different results. When I saw the Crazy Ivan truck in the lot I figured I was in the right spot... but that's only half the battle, I have a lot to learn about what to do once in the right place...

that is a gorgeous big salmon !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Holy cow! that's how its done!
That's a beauty of a salmon too.

Thanks for sharing your numbers and tactics. I sometimes feel like I'm picking up bread crumbs trying to find the way to catch them in my little kayak.
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Dilly Worm wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:00 pm Thanks for this fascinating report ! I launched in the same spot a few hours later and had very different results. When I saw the Crazy Ivan truck in the lot I figured I was in the right spot... but that's only half the battle, I have a lot to learn about what to do once in the right place...

You seem to be getting some quality water time and that is what matters for you to be successful. I believe i saw you Thursday morning in tight to bakers dock. Its not just being in the right spot but being in the right spot at the right time. I believe there is always a right spot that matches up with every minute of the day in order to catch salmon.
Here is how i run that spot this time of year. This is only in my opinion
The salmon are deep, 50' early morning and by 9am they can be as deep as 100 feet down. The Lake trout are not as pesky that deep either. Try running from bakers dock south to buckwheat beach over 80 to 100 feet of water 50' to 60' down on the riggers, once you get to Buckwheat drive south past Thompson's, turn around quick to avoid the laker's. As the morning go on drop deeper (like 72') and change your angle of attack, line up the south west corner of garden and point the boat right at Buckwheat beach, when you hit the 100" mark at buckwheat turn hard south and run off Thompson's point, turn around quick to avoid the laker's..... Later on we fish really deep and move even further off shore, 100 plus feet down and all over New York side also. If that area is you area of choice reverse the attack as the day wears on...... 70' down at Buckwheat beach at 3:15 in the afternoon in November and December has produced quite a few trophy salmon.
Good luck and hope to see you at the water
Todd
Todd
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Crazy Ivan wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:06 pm
Dilly Worm wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:00 pm Thanks for this fascinating report ! I launched in the same spot a few hours later and had very different results. When I saw the Crazy Ivan truck in the lot I figured I was in the right spot... but that's only half the battle, I have a lot to learn about what to do once in the right place...

You seem to be getting some quality water time and that is what matters for you to be successful. I believe i saw you Thursday morning in tight to bakers dock. Its not just being in the right spot but being in the right spot at the right time. I believe there is always a right spot that matches up with every minute of the day in order to catch salmon.
Here is how i run that spot this time of year. This is only in my opinion
The salmon are deep, 50' early morning and by 9am they can be as deep as 100 feet down. The Lake trout are not as pesky that deep either. Try running from bakers dock south to buckwheat beach over 80 to 100 feet of water 50' to 60' down on the riggers, once you get to Buckwheat drive south past Thompson's, turn around quick to avoid the laker's. As the morning go on drop deeper (like 72') and change your angle of attack, line up the south west corner of garden and point the boat right at Buckwheat beach, when you hit the 100" mark at buckwheat turn hard south and run off Thompson's point, turn around quick to avoid the laker's..... Later on we fish really deep and move even further off shore, 100 plus feet down and all over New York side also. If that area is you area of choice reverse the attack as the day wears on...... 70' down at Buckwheat beach at 3:15 in the afternoon in November and December has produced quite a few trophy salmon.
Good luck and hope to see you at the water
Todd

Sitting here, eating popcorn, with wood fire burning taking notes on the shuttle points of fishing the south side of Converse bay...

Thanks Santa Todd.....

Fish on!
Matt B
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

On my fishfinder in those areas 100' is where the party begins. Lots of stuff going on down there on the graph. I just figured it was noise, and it wasn't real. We've never fished that deep.

Jack
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Nice fish you earned it.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Todd - thank you for all that great advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to make that post and share your knowledge.

I can't wait to get back out and give it a try !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Damn Todd .. I still have SO much to learn! Who else fishes 50-100 down this time of year! Maestro! Meanwhile, fish are still in the rivers and lakers are on the rocks as I've transitioned to fly season this year as Serenity is on the hard.. It's been a late season, but they are biting!
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Detritus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:08 pm Well, we have a pile of Crazy Ivan's and Honey Bees, but, once they're out of the package, I immediately forget the names. This one must be one of yours, and it got one of my daughters her first salmon this morning.

IMAG1263.jpg

Thanks for that Todd.
Congratulations to your young Fisherwoman for her first salmon. She's glowing in that picture. That right there is exactly what this whole thing is about!