Converse Bay T-Day

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Converse Bay T-Day

Post by Dilly Worm »

I launched around 10 AM hoping for one last chance at a salmon for T-day dinner. Barely 5 minutes later I had one line in the water - 6 colors of lead and a CI Hot Hooker - and a fish on. It was a solid 5-lb laker that put up a good fight. Caught in about 60 FOW between the boat ramp and Garden Island. It turned out to be the only fish of the day for me. In hindsight I should have gone further afield, but with that fast start, I stuck around the bay expecting it to be full of more hungry fish.

Hardly saw anything on the fish finder in 3 hrs of trolling, other than some bait clouds around 100 - 120 ft down that were around the mouth of the bay, but I couldn't entice anything to bite.

I chatted with a fisherman in a kayak on the other side of the island - TroutCrazy, was that you ? Any luck chasing silver ?

Weather looks good for a few more days out this 4-day weekend, we'll try again...

Happy Thanksgiving to all !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: Converse Bay T-Day

Post by troutcrazy »

Yup that was me! I also got a late start. Haha I wasn't super psyched to get out of bed when I saw the rain on my window at 6am.

I forgot my fishfinder battery! Uggh. I was tempted to go home to get it but I fished blind instead. At least it was familiar water.

I ran two spoons down 15-25' on a Torpedo Diver and 25-30' on a Snap Weight.

I trolled around in front of the island for a while then went to the end of Thompson point and the humps in front of Town Farm. I couldn't resist crossing the lake to Split Rock.

I picked up one small laker on the reef by Split Rock. Then I headed into Whallon Bay. I picked up a small laker or two in there. I crossed back to Thompsons and replaced the shallower spoon with a Shad Rap that runs at 6". I started catching fish including a double. The biggest lakers came on the Shad Rap only 6' down. I got tired of releasing them from the double treble hooks so I switched it out to a spoon on the surface and then 10' down with no bites.

I think I caught 8 or 10 lakers.

Then I had a WICKED bend in my snap weight rod and drag started ZZZZZZZ! Wow it's heavy too! I'd better turn around and chase it or I'm going to get spooled! And about 45 seconds into the fight I realized I was just hung up on bottom! :oops: :lol: :lol: Fishing blind I got shallower than I thought. Lost a 3 oz snap weight and a Purple People Eater.

No silver.
Tomorrow bright and early!
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Hey "Dilly"
I as on my way to Converse this am @ 6:00, as I stopped for gas my 19 to son Breadth, for out of the car to throw-up. Poor kid. So, needless to say, I turned around. Little man slept til 2:00, but he's feeling good. We are giving g it another shot tomorrow morning. Not sure where I will drop at. Converse/Burlington or Mallets. I was hoping your post about Converse would make my decision easy! Lol. Glad you had a safe outing today. Here's to another one!u
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

troutcrazy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:06 pm Yup that was me! I also got a late start. Haha I wasn't super psyched to get out of bed when I saw the rain on my window at 6am.

I forgot my fishfinder battery! Uggh. I was tempted to go home to get it but I fished blind instead. At least it was familiar water.

I ran two spoons down 15-25' on a Torpedo Diver and 25-30' on a Snap Weight.

I trolled around in front of the island for a while then went to the end of Thompson point and the humps in front of Town Farm. I couldn't resist crossing the lake to Split Rock.

I picked up one small laker on the reef by Split Rock. Then I headed into Whallon Bay. I picked up a small laker or two in there. I crossed back to Thompsons and replaced the shallower spoon with a Shad Rap that runs at 6". I started catching fish including a double. The biggest lakers came on the Shad Rap only 6' down. I got tired of releasing them from the double treble hooks so I switched it out to a spoon on the surface and then 10' down with no bites.

I think I caught 8 or 10 lakers.

Then I had a WICKED bend in my snap weight rod and drag started ZZZZZZZ! Wow it's heavy too! I'd better turn around and chase it or I'm going to get spooled! And about 45 seconds into the fight I realized I was just hung up on bottom! :oops: :lol: :lol: Fishing blind I got shallower than I thought. Lost a 3 oz snap weight and a Purple People Eater.

No silver.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

I feel your pain!
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

troutcrazy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:06 pm I think I caught 8 or 10 lakers.

No silver.
TC - Good to see you out there, and nice job with the laker haul !

I have hooked the bottom like that more than a few times when I've been trolling in the rowboat w/o a fish finder, it's so exciting for a few seconds and then... uh-oh. You're not the only one that's had that happen !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

TruViking wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:11 pm Hey "Dilly"
I as on my way to Converse this am @ 6:00, as I stopped for gas my 19 to son Breadth, for out of the car to throw-up. Poor kid. So, needless to say, I turned around. Little man slept til 2:00, but he's feeling good. We are giving g it another shot tomorrow morning. Not sure where I will drop at. Converse/Burlington or Mallets. I was hoping your post about Converse would make my decision easy! Lol. Glad you had a safe outing today. Here's to another one!u
Sorry to hear it, hope he feels better and tomorrow goes better. I think I'll try further south tomorrow.
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Thanks! He's feeling Great now so we are looking at Tomorrow morning. Weather and Wind look prime. Still unsure where want to concentrate though.
I am still without a Radio(Hopefully I find one tonight), If I do I will Hail at ya. If not, don,'t think I am ignoring you if you try to reach me🤔🙄.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Scott and I will be launching out of Port Henry and working north - 175 Alumacraft Maroon over Silver - I don't think my radio is working either - yelling or throwing tomatoes will get my attention
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

ChessieMan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 pm Scott and I will be launching out of Port Henry and working north - 175 Alumacraft Maroon over Silver - I don't think my radio is working either - yelling or throwing tomatoes will get my attention
Ha, I've hailed you before when I thought it was you, and found out it was after the fact. Figured your radio was out, as I've never heard you on the radio all of these fall trips out this year.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

"Detritus,"
I decided to Launch out of Converse. There's a few things and areas I want to mess around with. Maybe I will see you out there. Still no Radio(Working on that though) but If you see me around, you, or anyone for that matter,can P.M. me and I will get back at u.
Ne Safe out there Fellas. Tomorrow is gonna be a Great Day!

Best,
Ej
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Love reading your stories guys... there is a real frostbite kayak fleet starting. Forrest (Plantstone) used to be the only guy out in the cold trolling with a kayak, now seems seems like there is whole fleet! Great stuff! The more the safer.
Matt B