Mallets Bay?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Mallets Bay?

Post by TruViking »

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck in the outskirts of Mallets Bay? I would think that the Salmon may occasionally shoot through to get to the Lamoille and Inland Sea?
I'd be interested to know if anyone has any input on that topic. Thanks.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Mallets Bay?

Post by Reelax »

This area used to be some of the best cold water fishing on the lake. It still has its good days but it is not what it was like in the 90’s...
Matt B
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

So, I let the boys "Talk me into" hitting Mallet's Bay. We went out at 2:30 and I planned on going to towards the mouth of the Lamoille and then back, a quick jaunt. I was just getting ready to put in line #4 and the starboard leadline got hit in decent shape. At this point the two boys were already napping 😂 but the line getting tore off woke them up.
The rod was showing that it was a decent fish, I was marking a bunch just before. Long story short, the kidpulled in a 9lb. 8 oz Laker and he was esthatic about it! Unfortunately, my 10yo son, Braedyn, had already developed a headache and our trip was cut short. But what a great feeling when a kid reels in his "Biggest Fish Ever!" He's my adopted son and never got the chance for his first 13 years to experience the joys of being out on the water, trolling and searching for the prize! Now I can't go a day without being asked to take them out! Poor Me, I know, lol.
Was neat to get that right out in the bay. There's definitely no shortage of Lake Trout in this Lake.
For those interested it was caught in 85 FOW on Leadcore, 6 colors out on a Black and White with pink spots(Measles?) @ 2.3-2.4.
Sorry about the pics but he didn't want to hurt the fish so he took the pictures.
Worked out as a good catch and release and memory for him that he will keep with him.
Attachments
IMG_20201124_151035349.jpg
IMG_20201124_151035349.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 959 times
IMG_20201124_150951288.jpg
IMG_20201124_150951288.jpg (102.35 KiB) Viewed 960 times
IMG_20201124_150958234~3.jpg
IMG_20201124_150958234~3.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I think you need a bigger net, judging by the size of fish youre hauling in. Nice job out there today.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like a great time!!! Thanks for the report... enjoyed the story and pics very much!!

Love a kids personal best any day!!!
Matt B
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Welcome to the forum! I notice you have an in outboard motor with a kicker. Do you just use the kicker this time or year? I also have an I/0 and I’ve been winterizing it after every trip. Getting a little old but awesome to keep fishing this time of year! Congrats to your kids PB, you’re getting the next generation “hooked”!
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Reelinvestment
Thanks for the Welcoming. So, yes I do run the kicker only. But that has been true since this summer
I bought this boat in June because my other boat was to small and causing problems. So I bought this boat and, well long story short, the man who sold it to me was clever. The moment after I bought it there were issues. I can't even begin to tell you about the troubles I went through..... Major issues. It came to be that the Motor was Hydrolocked amongst other things Once I looked back at the time of purchase, things began to make sense. He definitely knew it was a bad Motor! But I was also anxious to purchase and looked past a few things that I shouldn't have. So I am now looking into small claims court, but there's not much leverage I have. I am still going to try though. He won't answer any communication. Kinda a bad deal for me as I spent every penny I had on the boat. Such is life though. So the Mercruiser that sits in the well needs replacing and I just can't afford it right now. The kicker is the big boss now and pushes me around, as I refuse to not go out and Fish!
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

I see! Sorry to hear about your bad fortune! Hope you find a good used motor somewhere, I had problems getting one replaced in my 87 invader. Ended up going with a factory refurbished one from merc, wasn’t much more than a decent used one, and had a 3 year warranty. Might be worth looking into!
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

ReelInvestment wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:29 pm I see! Sorry to hear about your bad fortune! Hope you find a good used motor somewhere, I had problems getting one replaced in my 87 invader. Ended up going with a factory refurbished one from merc, wasn’t much more than a decent used one, and had a 3 year warranty. Might be worth looking into!
Interesting. Did you purchase privately or????? I am going to look into it, Thanks!
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

Just check with your local boat mechanic and see if they can get you one. That’s what I did, good luck!
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Don't know how mechanically inclined you are either, but, old boats are pretty primitive animals. If you can get at everything easily enough, it's all just nuts, bolts, and wires. Dig around online for a rebuilt long block for that thing. All of your bolt-ons (alternator, carburetor, etc) are probably fine.

Your outdrive is probably fine too, all you'd be looking at is basically the block, heads and internals.

First order of business though is finding out the cause of your hydro lock. You don't want to transplant the problem onto the new block.

But, even an engine swap isn't the end of the world. Make it a father and sons project.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Absolutely.
I have no problem with any of the work involved. I have been in and around boats my whole life. My dig is the financial part of it. But, you are right, I just need to find my best deal. I already do know the main reason the motor was toast and that is my main argument for when I take him to court. It was negligence on his end by the pure definition of the word. You are also correct that this is not the end of the world! So many people have much worse and REAL problems than this one here. I appreciate your comment, Thanks!