2020 Frostbite Shakedown on Surprise

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

2020 Frostbite Shakedown on Surprise

Post by Surprise »

After the review of the latest Governor's Covid Protocol Carl Petri and Kathy my wife decided that we could safely get in some Frostbite fishing.

Last nite Carl and I decided to meet at 9 AM to ready up Surprise for a launch at Arnold bay. This morning we put up the winter canvas and put the heater aboard. We splashed and headed off to Fishville and arrived to find three other Frostbiters already on post. Being a grey day we decided brass and black/purple and white brown trout to be the flavor of the day. The water was flat and 48 degrees. We set a leadcore out 3 colors on a side planer with a Crazy Ivan Browntrout and the other side we set a black purple bigjon mini disc with CI Fat Buzzy out 100 ft. The riggers 30 and 35 got a Fat Buzzy and Brown trout.

It started as we set with ready lakers wanting to play. The 48 degree water gave them plenty of fighting gas and they hammered the lures like it was their last meal. We both kept busy at the back reeling in and releasing fish with autopilot running the helm. We had singles, doubles, triples, and a quad, ducking into the canvas to warm our hands. We waved and greeted our fellow fishermen as we passed each other all having great catches. We ended with a 5 boat fleet and everyone having fun.

With the flat water we saw fish activity on surface and even went thru a bait boil up from fish below. No seagull tornados but a few loons feeding. The bite tailed off and we decided to reset to a shallow program with a side planer added, same lures and run the shore up and around Barbor . We were rewarded with 3- 15 inch silvers in 15-30 FOW. We didn't turn back but kept going. It started to spit snow about 1:30 after we rounded Barbor. We pulled and ran back to Arnold.

Surprise and all systems ran flawlessly and it was great to get in a heater needed Frostbite float with Carl. I miss the call list of fellow fishermen that I usually can spend time with the and shore lunches. Wave and say HI when you can to ensure the fleet mutual safety as the weather and water gets more Salmon like at the 42 degrees when they bite your hands. Remember: Check your Transom Plug, VHF Radio & Please wear your life jackets.

When we can get a vaccine I look forward to getting back to Normal and sharing time together again and leaving this 2020 of weirdness behind. No fishing until after Kathy and I Have our own Thanksgiving.

Stay Safe Everyone and look to see you all out again.

Happy Thanksgiving, Randy

Fish Bit Lures

Fish On!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: 2020 Frostbite Shakedown on Surprise

Post by Reelax »

Awesome report! Sure gets the blood flowing.... SOON the big boys will be out to play....

It’s gonna be a good year I can feel it.... (C-hawk you just have to start south of converse and there are plenty of silvers to be had...)

My boat is 5 years old and I just installed the 3rd set of tires on my trailer.
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Surprise - Thanks for all the detailed info and lure photos. you guys did great for just a shakedown cruise !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Happy reading your report, good day!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad to hear back from you Randy.
Happy Frostbite season.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Woohoo! Salmon! Nice work. Thanks for the excellent report.
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

Randy,

Great report and I love the "well used" look of the lures.

Michael
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

That was a nice day to be on the water Randy! Thanks for the call. It was really nice for a crossing to Willsboro Sunday for our 3 boat "Covid" fleet over there for Mike / Jack / and myself.