Port Henry - Nov 14

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry - Nov 14

Post by ChessieMan »

OK - "Who let the lakers out" - AGAIN???????

Got so excited with this week's reports of "flying silver" that I just about promised Scott salmon - and knowing that he was bring a package of elk steaks and muley burger for me after his success in Montana, I was pretty much obligated - well , you can guess the rest of the story - laker, laker, laker,.....laker!

Started at Potash Point, hooked up in 10 minutes and continued to hook-up until we left at 1:30, 14 of 23 - the only inklings of salmon was a savage slam that ripped a rainbow HB right off a dipsy and a rigger release that went nuts for 15 seconds then gone - the south western edges of Fishville were the place top be - at one time there were 6 of us working it - and from what I could see - everyone was hooking-up - I really hope someone got into the silvers.

But, it was a great day to on the water, we had smoked laker and goose jerky munchies and venison chili for lunch and then out of a secret pouch comes a shot glass and a pewter flask full of Lemon-cello fire water and we toasted our B-days - wonder what the poor people were doing?

Waiting on the weather for another shot at 'em. When will the wind stop blowing?
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Port Henry - Nov 14

Post by Dilly Worm »

I was nearby today and it was mostly small lakers for me too.

Met Detritus and the boys this morning and our 2-boat fleet started trolling around Barber Point. I had a slow start until changing lures - usually I go w/ silver and blue/pink when water is crystal clear, and subdued colors when it's cloudy like today, but nothing would bite. Switched to what I'd normally consider murky water/sunny day lures (CI Hot Hooker and Golden Bomb Pop) and started picking away at small lakers. Depth and speed didn't matter, they were on 1 to 4 colors of lead and 35 to 60 feet on the downrigger, mostly 2.5 to 3 mph but some around 2.

Some combination of a gust of wind and my clumsiness resulted in the net falling overboard and promptly sinking while I was reeling in fish #3 :shock: . It was just a very small laker so I hauled it into the boat with the line like a kid catching sunfish. Four more fish were caught in this manner, up to a 22"/3.5-lb laker that was the least small fish of the day. I had one small salmon on the line but it spit the hook at the boat, and I went 7/9 for the day.

All lakers looked very healthy, fought hard for their size, and had hardly any lamprey wounds. Only one had a clipped fin, the rest looked like natives.

Great day to be out, wind/waves were a lot more than the forecast said but not a problem. I'm buying a net and a backup net and will be back ASAP.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report guys saw one boat today trolling a little south of fishville. from a hill where i was hunting couldnt see the other frostbiters.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

We were one of the boats out there too, aboard the Country Angler. We came from the north at our usual redgate launch. I figure it's good piloting time for the boys to launch there and drive farther on the water. Watching the chart, aids to navigation, but most importantly, the real world around them! Haha.

Sounds like you guys had a great day on the water, with great food. We had granola bars and apples I think. Good coffee though. Even if we brought the grill though, it was a little bumpy, but more importantly, you're right, the fish were biting.

We started near westport, and worked our way south down the new York side. First fish was a fat white perch. Next was this.
IMAG1228.jpg
IMAG1228.jpg (125.82 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Then, a few baby Lakers, then this.
IMAG1229.jpg
IMAG1229.jpg (94.29 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
One more salmon got away.

Our final count was 13 for 16, 3 confirmed salmon, one white perch, the rest Lakers. Maybe one salmon we never saw, very active on the line.

Had a juvenile gull following us almost the whole way. Im guessing It was a black backed judging by its size, but he figured out what we were doing. He'd fly over every time we were reeling in a fish, and wait till we released it, then swoop in and try to get the fish. We didn't have any casualties because if him, but twice he poked the fish with his beak, and the fish hurriedly dove down.

All that, and had fun fishing with dilly worm nearby all morning as well. Our canvas and heater are a real game changer for us for cold weather fishing. We were in sweatshirts all day.

Hope you don't mind me adding to your report chessieman, if it's a problem, I'll do a new one next time. We had a great day.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Some combination of a gust of wind and my clumsiness resulted in the net falling overboard and promptly sinking while I was reeling in fish #3
It was the banana.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Good work out there guys! We decided to focus on the deer woods today....seemed to work out as we have one hanging in the barn now. Figured we had to shoot some deer to have boat snacks all year!
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

No problem Jack and more importantly, keep those boys "on the water" and smiling -

I did forget details - once again Sun Rise Speedi was the lure followed by black/purple HB - 15-20 down, 2.5-28 knots - we kept 6 lakers for the smoker - the littler ones smoke up real nice
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

ReelInvestment wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:00 pm Good work out there guys! We decided to focus on the deer woods today....seemed to work out as we have one hanging in the barn now. Figured we had to shoot some deer to have boat snacks all year!
congrats on getting your deer ! hope to cross paths with you again out on the lake soon
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

I keep seeing where people are saying a lot of the Lakers being caught are not fin clipped and therefore natives. Are we sure this is true? I know way back most all stocked trout were fin clipped. In NYS this practice is not uniform. In NYS I know based on my stream fishing that most rainbows now are not fin clipped and were stocked as there has never been any evidence of rainbows reproducing in this stream. It is marginal year round trout habitat to begin with. I have gone to the New York State and Vermont websites and can not seem to find any official statement regarding clipping of stocked trout (maybe I am missing it). If lake trout are indeed reproducing and more importantly the fry are surviving this means they have adapted to the thyamine deficiency caused by eating alewives. I don't know if anyone has seen any research to suggest this is indeed happening.
Norski
Species: salmon

Post by Norski »

Last week we were out on the big lake. Of the more than a dozen Lakers caught, a number of them were not fin clipped.
Norski
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great reports and details... Thanks for sharing guys... The big salmon will come... Hopefully soon. Sounds like we may have a dozen frostbite boats fishing this year That great!!!
Matt B