Closed cooling system?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Closed cooling system?

Post by ReelInvestment »

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on having a closed cooling system installed on a 3.0 mercruiser. I’m looking for suggestions on who would do it for me and what it might cost. Looking to get ReelInvestment on the water this winter possibly. I’m not having much luck finding an affordable outboard boat for the task!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Closed cooling system?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Hmmm... I could be wrong but that might be a couple thousand investment to get that converted. Call Vt Home and ask for a quote?
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

I was looking at parts and it seems pretty expensive and I’ll still have to drain a few things. Looks like everytime I’m done fishing this winter I’ll just have to drain my block and manifolds. Luckily not too big of a deal! Thanks for the reply Ron!
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Post by Dead lake »

Had a boat with that system, don’t do it had trouble with cast iron mated to aluminum gasket kept leaking, can’t put those metals together, radiator internally leaked on me, real big money for internal radiator , these systems are only good if your in salt water. Why would you want it, drain two petcocks done or just suck up some antifreeze thru 5 gal bucket, google this system problems there is lots, just saying
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

Thanks dead lake! After I did a little more research it’s for sure not worth the money or the chance to screw up my motor. It is a really easy motor to drain out.
Dead lake

Post by Dead lake »

Suck up some rev antifreeze thru lower unit up into motor to make sure that all the waters out, I drain then shut petcocks startmotor sucking antifreeze until coming out exhaust, shut off good til next year plus it helps on internal block rusting, I use funnel to a small hose attached to ears on lower unit .have someone start engine and you pour about two gals, then shut off, cheap way to do it, just a idea
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

Do you do any winter fishing? I live about an hour and 45 from converse launch. Was hoping to fish in the winter some, once I get back on the trailer, drain the block and manifolds, then drive home and run anti freeze through the system. Do you think I’ll have any freeze up problems on my way home?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I would not suggest it in temps under 25 deg.

If you have an out board kicker you May never need to use the big one in the winter if your kicker is powerful enough. We can find good fishing from converse all winter close by..
Matt B
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

That’s what I was worried about. I don’t have a kicker, I’ve been searching for a 16-18 foot aluminum with an outboard to setup just for winter fishing. They are hard to come by for a decent price! Thinking I may need to sell the islander some day and get into a newer outboard boat. The Cuddy is nice for storage and porta potty for the ladies though!
Dead lake

Post by Dead lake »

Even with the closed system antifreeze,you still would have to drain around radiator, the radiator is inside a tank, the water surrounds the radiator , you drain water from tank, this system is not for cold weather just salt water.