My First "Real" Troll!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

My First "Real" Troll!

Post by the_doctor »

What a great weekend! It started Friday night when I caught my best smallmouth of the year and entered it as my first Master Angler entry. Then Sunday I was out for my first "real" salmon troll! I have caught them before in early spring from my canoe, but now my neighbor just got a new boat so we were out early Sunday for proper troll. It was the first time deep trolling salmon for both of us so I was pretty happy that we were able to pick up two silvers our first time out! They were on the smaller side but no complaints here.
We left at 5AM from Malletts and just barely made it through the Sandbar with a little walking in the water. That will probably be the last time this summer we can pull that off! But that's OK by me, because I think the bigger salmon are elsewhere on the lake.
We had two lines on riggers about 30-40' down, and two rods with lead core out 6-7 colors. The hot lure was a plain copper wobbler which surprised me on such a sunny day.
At 8 o'clock my neighbor Will had to head back so it was a short trip. But not bad to strike silver on the maiden voyage! I had one salmon hit while holding the lead core rod in my hands and wow, I think I am starting a new fishing addiction.
The boat is a small open Grunman 14" or so, in case you see us out there. No name on her yet which I think is major bad luck but hey, it's not my boat. Tight lines everyone!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: My First "Real" Troll!

Post by Reelax »

There is a reason my boat is named REELAX. Your either reeling or relaxing.

I have only wanted to troll for the last 25 years... it is a serious addiction and passion...

You sir... have been hooked...

Nice report!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Tim.
Glad you hooked silvers on your first troll.
Now you are addicted for life.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

That's great that you 2 were able to hook up on the maiden voyage! That doesn't happen very often.

Congrats, and it's time to put a motor on your canoe so you can keep after 'em.