Troublesome Togue 6/14

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Troublesome Togue 6/14

Post by Dilly Worm »

I hit the water at Button Bay around 5:30 and rowed around the haystacks and Scotch Bonnet looking for salmon. Couldn't find any. Lakers kept spitting hooks and getting away. They were up to some real shennannigans so I hope this post is helpful so fisherman are prepared for their tricks... or at least entertaining

One felt like a normal laker at first, but then it just swam fast toward the boat and jumped right out of the water, giving itself lots of slack and spitting the hook :o . I was not ready for that but I figured next one, I'd be prepared.

A few minutes the next one hit and behaved more like I'm used to, diving fast every time I got it close to the boat. Then on one of its runs it dove, turned around and swam up so suddenly I didn't keep up, it got some slack, shook its head, and disappeared :shock: .

When I had the next one on the line I resolved not to let that happen again and came closer to actually catching it, but the fish got tangled in the other line when it was next to the boat (problem with the rowboat being it stops moving when I stop rowing to reel in a fish, and the wind pushed the boat around into the second line). Trying to net it before I lost it to the tangle, I tried to net the fish when it was almost out of reach and really thought I caught it but it thrashed out of the net and disappeared :roll: .

Then there were no more bites that I was aware of. Until I reeled in for the end of the trip and found a little smallmouth bass on the spoon, no idea how long I was dragging it around :? . Maybe it could have looked like a good meal to a big fish, but nothing bit while it was occupying the hook.

Catch of the day ended up being "doubles" when I had yellow perch on both lines at 6 AM. Not exactly the doubles I was targeting. The bigger perch was 13" which was pretty nice.

Some other fisherman I talked with while loading up at the boat ramp had gone 1/6 on lakers earlier, and said they were spitting hooks before even getting close to the boat, so it sounds like they're being feistier than normal these days. Water temperature was about 57 everywhere, water was mostly clear. Rainbow trout speedy shiner and purple clown Rapala were hooking the perch and the lakers using 2 to 4 colors of lead in 30-40 FOW.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Re: Troublesome Togue 6/14

Post by Bearcat »

The lakers still have that springtime energy, and more than I’ve seen in recent seasons, and the ones I’ve been getting are incredibly fat and clean. Just when I was admitting to myself that I was actually enjoying catching them, one destroyed the boat, so from here on out I’m staying above 2.25 mph at all times!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Speedy shiners and Rapalas ... I am guessing both have treble hooks. If they do, go to a single siwash and you might have a few less hook-ups but more fish in the net. IMO /Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Yes, both had treble hooks. Thanks for the advice !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

The fish are very active and are trying to spit the hook as soon as they feel resistance... we had so many riggers fire with no one home yesterday we lost count.... :o I have been sharpening every hook as it gets deployed to try to stick em sooner and better in the strike... wasn’t helping much, but made me feel a little better... :?

Thanks for the report..... love to hear the kayak adventures....
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Reelax wrote:The fish are very active and are trying to spit the hook as soon as they feel resistance... we had so many riggers fire with no one home yesterday we lost count.... :o I have been sharpening every hook as it gets deployed to try to stick em sooner and better in the strike... wasn’t helping much, but made me feel a little better... :?

Thanks for the report..... love to hear the kayak adventures....
Sharpening the hooks is absolute IMO. Try a little more speed if they are that active and a little scent on a tiny piece of yarn knotted to siwash.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Yeah, row faster Dilly! Haha
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Detritus wrote:Yeah, row faster Dilly! Haha

Now that is funny and nasty at the same time. Dilly earns his cold water fish more than anyone!!! Him, Forrest and a few other yack trollers earn every pull they get.

I gotta know.....do you own the dilly worm company??? Love the avatar..

Fish on!
Matt B
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

[quote="Reelax"Dilly earns his cold water fish more than anyone!!! Him, Forrest and a few other yack trollers earn every pull they get.

I gotta know.....do you own the dilly worm company??? Love the avatar..

Fish on![/quote]

Reelax - thanks a ton ! But... everything has changed. I bought a used fishing boat this week - a 2000 Alumacraft Trophy Sport - and now I can motor around like everyone else, and bring the family along too !

I'll still take the rowboat out and troll w/ it when I need the exercise, once in a while.

Took the new family boat out for a test run Friday, then spent most of today on it. First fish in it was a small laker, next was a 5+ lb salmon that should have entered in the derby, but I caught it solo while the family was asleep, and you need a witness to each catch. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow. 8-yr old promises to wake up w/ me at 4 am.

I just get a kick out of the worm logo, and dilly worms were basically all I'd ever use for bait for years and years until Detritus turned me on to cold water trolling last year.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Now that is funny and nasty at the same time. Dilly earns his cold water fish more than anyone!!! Him, Forrest and a few other yack trollers earn every pull they get.
You probably don't know Matt, but Dilly and I know each other outside of here. Our four daughters are friends. We met up and had lunch today and swam out on the water today. I wasn't being nasty, just razzing a friend.

Cool seeing you guys out there today dilly, that's a killer boat.

All you other LCU guys, brutal heat today huh? We did pretty good considering the pressure on the fish out there for us, two more days to go. I'll do a report after its all said and done. So happy I got my boat running again.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Detritus wrote:
I wasn't being nasty, just razzing a friend.

Cool seeing you guys out there today dilly, that's a killer boat.
ps, I should have cleared that up in my last post. Detritus had already seen my new motorboat when he posted "row faster" so I thought it was hilarious... a little inside joke. He's given me a lot of help with boats and coldwater fishing, so I never saw anything but good humor between friends in that post.

Jack - great meeting up yesterday, thanks for all the info on downriggers and everything else I am going to want now that I have a boat that can fit it !
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Oh I can’t wait for the stories of the new Craft... Any name yet?

Could call it Dilly Dilly...
Matt B
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Reelax wrote:Oh I can’t wait for the stories of the new Craft... Any name yet?

Could call it Dilly Dilly...
Thanks, I can't wait to get back out there and make fish stories happen !

Still working on a name... Dilly Dilly is a good one, and the kids and I have had some ideas, it might be the Dill Pickerel, the Togue Party, the Bluegill, or the Perch Snatcher, or...

all name suggestions welcome, it looks like this:
Attachments
IMG_20200617_071803.jpg
IMG_20200617_071803.jpg (220.78 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Nice looking rig!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice rig, Dilly! Looks like it's built for frostbite fishing.