Champlain 1st timer

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
purplesmelt
Species: Salmon

Champlain 1st timer

Post by purplesmelt »

Looking for a little help on Champlain. Coming over from NH 3rd week of June if VT will let us. My daughter is visiting from the midwest and has rented a camp in Allburgh. Just wondering what the fishing is like in that area. I'm in my early 60's and been fishing salmon and lakers most of my life so not a comlete newbie. Fished all over NH and Maine and Lake Ontario just never Champlain although it's always been on my list. Looks like we are on the southern tip of vt side of Pt of the tounge. Would like to target salmon and lakers although I've got some younger grandkids so not against trying anything.Thanks for any help I have heard great things about your lake.
sonny88
Species: salmon

Re: Champlain 1st timer

Post by sonny88 »

Unless she has rented the place for a month the current Vt. state rules won't allow you or her to in habit the rental. They may change before then but that is the way it is right now. And, please don't kill the messenger i'm just relaying the current regulations. We were supposed to go to cape cod targeting tuna and stripers but are in the same situation.
purplesmelt

Post by purplesmelt »

No only a week but she can still cancel up to 2 weeks prior. Hope it changes but if not hopefully next year. I know folks who were able to get on Ontario from NH recently.
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

They may have got onto Ontario, but they did not follow the guidelines. I have a place on Ontario and If I where to go with the current guidelines, I am supposed to bring everything I need with me, quarantine for 14 days, then social distance with masks, and when I return to Vt, quarantine for 14 more days. NY was the hotspot and it is only 200 miles from the city. Ok, just sayin
Riddler
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Assuming that you can get into your rental by then and will be going fishing from there, here's my take on salmon and lakers in the area. From where you would be, the best spots are to your south. The closest area is from about where the gut cuts through to the inland sea and the sister islands across to the west shore and south to Cumberland Head. You can find fish along both sides of the deep (try the contours along the east side as far south as the ferry crossing and to the west try Gravelly Point south to the ferry. Fishing gets better farther south around Valcour, but that's a long run. If you have VT licenses, a long run to the southern end of the Inland Sea could be worth the trip.
purplesmelt

Post by purplesmelt »

Thanks for the advice. If we can't get the rental this year will try to find something further south next year
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

collins cabins in and motel has nice units and cheap in port henry ny prime time for lakers and salmon state boat launch and great fishing just a little up from state launch that time of year. also red brick cafe also has rooms and food. collins you will be looking at bullwagga bay.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

FYI:
Collins Motel & Cabins
4079 NYS Route 9N, Port Henry, NY 12974
518-546-4068
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 566266807/
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
purplesmelt

Post by purplesmelt »

thanks for the help i will check it out
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

I hope your trip works out for you.
I’ve fished up there some and have marked some areas I’ve had success. The bass will be along the shore line in the marked areas in the weed line. If you have a boat, you can troll up and down the cut. There is an opening under the railroad trestle that will lead out to the main lake that is the map marked with “structure”. A lot of contours in this area which should hold all sorts of fish. You can also fish the whole area for Yellow Perch. I recommend getting a VT fishing license as this will allow you to fish the Inland Sea (everything east of the point you will be on) and the main lake. These are just the areas I have fished but there are fish all over that area.
Good luck!
Attachments
5C9C4B76-8FB1-4073-B399-D43643B75E29.jpeg
5C9C4B76-8FB1-4073-B399-D43643B75E29.jpeg (173.37 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
F98EF980-0ED1-4BEC-AD0E-FFD8FC117C00.jpeg
F98EF980-0ED1-4BEC-AD0E-FFD8FC117C00.jpeg (166.6 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
purplesmelt

Post by purplesmelt »

Hey thanks a lot. Yes I have a boat. Still up in the air whether we can go or not. Currently closed to out of staters until June 15. I usually fish salmon and trout but the grandkids would be more than happy to target bass and perch. We are already talking about next year if they extend the lockdown.