Lakers, Walleye, and almost Sheephead

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Lakers, Walleye, and almost Sheephead

Post by Detritus »

Friday afternoon and evening was a good time out on the local playground. We fished a spot near the river where we had marked a bunch of fish on a previous trip, but didn't fish them. Caught a couple right away. Brody and Liam were aboard.
IMAG0874.jpg
IMAG0874.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
I'd report the lures we used, but, that day it didn't matter. Every where we went, there were Lakers ready to hit everything we had in the water. We lost a lot of gear that day, the fish were nuts. One fish even took two lures. It swam sideways, and cut our lighter leader with the heavier leader it was on, and then snapped it's own line at the boat. Another fish took our favorite jointed stick bait right at the boat too. Looked to be a big fish. Drag set barely on, 15 lb flouro leader, but when he got up to the net, snap again. And when we were setting up for that troll, the release that was holding our rigger ball decided to break in half too. Fish were just crazy. Hardly anybody on the water, probably because of the rain.

The next two days were Liam and I aboard Detritus, walleye fishing.

IMAG0880.jpg
IMAG0880.jpg (118.83 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

We caught 4 total in 2 days, three keepers. Hard to believe we caught anything it all with all the people around. Liam lost a sheephead the size of a truck tire right at the boat on sunday. We almost dove in after it, that thing was a monster. Hot and sunny weather those two days. Talked to a friend out on the broad lake, he said there were quite a few boats out, and he did well on Lakers.

Tonight we took the weather opportunity to go back out in the cold water, but this time we brought the new grill. Didn't see too much on the graph this time, where we did Friday, but, we set up a troll anyway.
IMAG0896.jpg
IMAG0896.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Got the burgers going. Course that's when the fish start hitting. Mary reeled in her first lake trout. With a little help from one of her 5 brothers, haha

IMAG0899.jpg
IMAG0899.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

Brody was next

IMAG0893.jpg
IMAG0893.jpg (109.54 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Then Liam, but his was bleeding some, so we wasted no time taking a picture getting that one back in the water, so you'll have to take my word for it. They wanted me to reel the next one in, but I told them I didn't want to ruin my streak.

The nights crew

IMAG0894.jpg
IMAG0894.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
IMAG0900.jpg
IMAG0900.jpg (135.88 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Cool downscan or clearvu, or whatever Garmin calls it. Love this fish finder, highly recommend it. Echomap plus 93sv.
IMAG0904.jpg
IMAG0904.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
We were pretty good fishermen before this pandemic, but man, all this time on the water sure is making us so much better.

Lures hit tonight were all different again. Light spoon, dark spoon, copper spoon, and a blue and silver yozuri minnow. 6 to 12 feet down, 2 off of riggers 2 off of leadcore and inline planers, 70 to 80 feet back. Though we sent the riggers with vertical blades down to the 40 foot bottom since we could see all the pigs lying down there, we saw them investigating the blades several times, then swim away. Next time we'll be running lures tight to those blades, but we had to go home.

Good luck fishing out there guys, Lakers are getting excited in town farm bay.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Lakers, Walleye, and almost Sheephead

Post by Reelax »

Another fine report by the most active fishing family on the lake... Thanks for more stories and pics Jack... I love the pic of the 2 boys driving the boat from the stern... That is precious.... Won't be long and they will have her out solo!
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

love the kids and the pics. keep them fishing. dont know why your getting broke off so much but it sure is fun.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Thanks guys.

It was just that one day. We lost more lures on Friday than we did most of last year. Just weird circumstances I guess.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

All good. thanks. We love hearing about your adventures and seeing the photos.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Many of us can't make it to the water for different reasons, but when reading your posts we feel we are with you on the boat and sharing the fun with your family.
Love your posts and pics. Keep them coming.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)