Lake trout thursday, a salmon yesterday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Lake trout thursday, a salmon yesterday

Post by Detritus »

We managed to sneak in 4 fishing trips the last 7 days. Had a lot of action Thursday, my little girls first trip out. Found a bunch of Lakers on stick baits south of otter creek about 10 minutes. Ozzy got his first one ever.
IMAG0863_resize_42.jpg
IMAG0863_resize_42.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
We were trolling in circles, and every time we went over the spot, we picked up another one. But, apparently if you have to wait 10 minutes between fish, that's too long for a 5 year old girl. After a while of that she told me she was bored.
MI_24042020_101017.jpg
MI_24042020_101017.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
Poor Brody lost the biggest laker when it broke the tip off of a treble hook. That kids getting to be a really good boat pilot though.

Went out Friday out of south slang on the pontoon, trying for some perch or bullhead, fished half the day, nothing. Just the boys this trip.

Went out Saturday back to the same spot as Thursday, fish were there, but not interested in any of what we had. Fished the river a little, tweaked the motor a little, all we got was a smoother running engine. I'll take it. We did pick up a fender floating in the lake, and one of her brothers tied it to a rope so that Mary could throw it overboard over and over reel it in. Each time she did, she hit it with the fish bat. That's all it takes to make a fishing trip not boring in case you guys didn't know.

Yesterday when I left work, I realized the wind had calmed down, so Liam and I did a panic throw the boat in the water for an hour and a half fishing trip. It's all it took to get his personal record salmon.
IMAG0869.jpg
IMAG0869.jpg (122.06 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
23" 4.8 lbs. Full of smelt believe it or not. I haven't seen a smelt in a long time. Stick bait again for this fish, town farm bay. In the last couple weeks Liam's gotten his biggest laker and his biggest salmon.

As bad a start as this year has gotten for everything else, we've had a pretty good start to the fishing season.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Lake trout thursday, a salmon yesterday

Post by Reelax »

My favorite pic of the year... Liam hugging his personal best salmon!!!! Great times.. great stories.... thanks for sharing... don’t forget to enter him into the Vermont Master Anger program!!?
Matt B
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Thanks Matt, yeah, I've still got to do that for 3 fish this year, 2 Lakers and a salmon. The one he caught in "school" qualifies as well.

His 2019 youth master angler pin just came in the mail the other day with a letter challenging him to achieve master angler again, this time with 5 different species, haha. He's been wearing the pin on his jacket.

By the way, to anglers looking for this, all fish were caught in 30 feet of water or less, on lures running no deeper than 12' up close to shorelines.

Jack

Jack
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

How long did Liam hug that Salmon?
Did he take to bed with him that night?
It's great to see kids out on a boat having fun.

Michael
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Ha, no, he likes to be part of the whole process. Helped me fillet it out last night, today he'll be cooking it with his mother.

And actually, yesterday it was just him and I, and it was a little breezy, so I couldn't let go of the wheel. He picked the lures, tied them on, set out all the riggers and planer boards how he wanted them, chose the depths and picked where to fish. The only thing I did was a tug test on his knots, and net the fish.

Here's a fun fact for you, since we only started fishing hard a few years ago, I personally have never caught a single lake trout, salmon, or other cold water fish in my life to date. There's always someone on the boat to reel it in for me.

We started catching cold water fish thanks to what we've learned on this fishing report section of lake Champlain united, and that's a big reason we like to report. Maybe someone else new might pick up a fish because of us.

Jack

Jack
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Jack. Love the kids participating in fishing.
Congrats Liam for his catches and his Master Angler pin. He's doing better than many of us.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Great report! Awesome to see kids so into fishing, gives me hope for the future of the sport! Keep at it!
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome report!
I swear, I've broken more treble hooks this spring than I have in my whole life!
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

excellent report, nice to see the kids catching those fish !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Detritus wrote: We started catching cold water fish thanks to what we've learned on this fishing report section of lake Champlain united, and that's a big reason we like to report. Maybe someone else new might pick up a fish because of us.
Jack

Now that's a novel thought! ;)
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

Awesome report and pics. This forum is something special with all the info shared a big THANK YOU to all who do. I look at lures almost every day but do not get to wet them very much and I enjoy the pics and tall tails( all true of course) shared here.
Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing