Hungry Lakers 4/18

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Hungry Lakers 4/18

Post by Dilly Worm »

Yesterday we finally got a break from all the wind, so I launched at Arnolds Bay and caught a few lakers in the area.

First was in about 15 FOW close to shore on a Crazy Ivan golden bomb pop w/ a small flasher, 1 color lead. It fought like a clump of weeds, even after I disconnected the online planer board, until right at the boat. About 24" and 2.5 pounds.

Second was right after the first in about 20 FOW and it definitely was not a clump of weeds, it hit hard on a blue/silver/red jr thunderstick, no flasher, 2 colors lead, and put up a big fight. Abut 30" and 7 lbs.

Third hit the same setup as #2 and fought even harder. At first I figured I must have snagged the bottom (but how, it wasn't that shallow ? ) because it just felt like a dead weight that wouldn't budge. As it dove and swam all over the place I was hoping for a real lunker, but surprisingly was no longer than the first one. But fatter at almost 4 lbs.

Stomach contents of laker #3 included the usual 2" long silver/black fish plus one 7-inch alewife-looking thing that just dwarfed the others and seemed too big to get swallowed whole like that. Frankly I've caught and eaten smaller fish than this trout did :D
Attachments
24-in-2.5-lbs.jpg
24-in-2.5-lbs.jpg (181.91 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
24-in-3.75-lbs.jpg
24-in-3.75-lbs.jpg (158.54 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
30-in-7-lbs.jpg
30-in-7-lbs.jpg (146.84 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
4-pounder-diet.jpg
4-pounder-diet.jpg (116.74 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Hungry Lakers 4/18

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your report.
Glad you got some action with the lakers. Must be a thrill to catch them in your kayak.
That's a big alewife.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Have you checked to see if you just scored 2 master angler submissions on 1 hook? Haha Glad you had luck yesterday. All we did was drive around dragging different lures. Well that and work on the big engine.
Nice day though. We did see a porcupine on the rock slide north of snake den.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome! Haha, sometimes when the lakers spit up smelt, I think "I'd rather eat what the laker is eating!"
Nice catch, nice report!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

I could be wrong but I think the contents are all alewives ... smaller ones are from last year and the big one 3 or 4 yrs+. /Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Detritus wrote:Have you checked to see if you just scored 2 master angler submissions on 1 hook? Haha

Jack
I guess the state will need to add an alewife category :mrgreen:

ps, I should have mentioned water temp was about 48 F in Arnolds Bay, around 46-47 near shore outside the Bay... its warming up !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

I seen you guys out there, I jumped aboard my buddies boat for the day, we were in the white wellcraft, we ended up catching over 30 lakers , 1 five pond salmon and a five pound steelhead! Awsome day ! I was really hoping for a brown to complete a slam!