Mouth of Winooski

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
vteye
Species: Trasspikeye

Mouth of Winooski

Post by vteye »

I pushed off from Winooski river launch yesterday targeting lakers. I arrived late 1045 Sunday as cold in Central VT. I fish the mud line where the Winooski mixes with clear water of the big lake. Typically this time of year, there is a clear line an often temperature variance. I flat line an zig zag stick baits in an out of the mud line. Yesterday the line was about 1/2 mile out from the bridge although it varies seasonally with wind and flow being factors. Mud line was difficult to follow as the day wore on as heavy overcast an showers did not penetrate the flat calm water surface. I used a 5 inch fish finder, chart plotter (basic unit) to go back an forth over first pass where mud line was visible. A good fish finder is not needed most days. I found temperatures ranging from 34 to 38 degrees. Some years the temperature can vary 3-4 degrees even half mile out and all the fish will be in the warm water. Temperature played no part in yesterdays catch. I caught fish between 15 to 35 FOW although all fish were caught no more than 5-10 feet down. I started off with a 5 inch blue/silver uzuri an 5 inch yellow/gold/black storm stick baits. I think I saw a pair of F35's, glad they are on our side.
First fish was caught in a tight turn 60 feet behind the boat. A quick pic an appeared to be a 6 pounder 26.5 inch fish back in lake on the gold. The other two fish were caught at 88 feet and 115 feet behind the boat. Again I am thinking baits were no more than 5-10 feet deep as using shallow running stick baits. I changed blue bait many times trying to find a second stick bait as the yellow gold produced all three fish. I am fishing in a 17 foot aluminum boat trolling behind a 115 yamaha. Speed average 2.5-2.8 mph. First fish was the best one with a 3 an 5 pounder in the C&R mix. I fished about 4 hours.
It was a nice way to start too this season.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Mouth of Winooski

Post by Crayfish »

Nice job! Try dragging a bucket or two off the back of the boat and see if you can get your speed down to 2.0 - 2.3mph or so. Although they can be aggressive, lakers usually like a little slower moving bait. Keep at it!
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I was out there also, started a bit south of the mouth and trolled north, between 2:00 and 4:00-ish, I think I passed by you late afternoon. Just a short window for me, I had riggers at 5 and 10, and flatlined another, but didn't pick up anything. I was going a bit slower, 1.8 to 2.0. My flatline was about similar to yours behind probably 100', my riggers were about 50' back. I was reading about 36 degrees. I was just happy to get out and make sure everything survived the winter OK. No fish in the boat yet for me.
________
Mike
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Really enjoyed reading the detail in your report. Thanks for the excellent contribution. That can be a hot area this time of year. Sounds like you have it down!!
Matt B
vteye

Post by vteye »

I don't get up there often try to fish it once a year but more like every other. I wanted to post the how to. Most of the boats yesterday were fishing the mud rather than the mud line. I note CAS was on the mud line. I also zig zag like a drunk (no booze on my boat) and compensates for trolling a little faster. Fish ran smaller than usual as the water warms into low 40's some bigger fish usually show up.
Charlie
vteye

Post by vteye »

Back at it yesterday, lake was 39 degrees, river was 45 ish. Mud line was gone an fished the first break 9-20 fow. We fished 3 hours before the rain arrived, off the water at 1230. Lakers like overcast when in shallows. We caught 5 best 30+, 2 at 28 inches and two 5 pounders were the small ones all C&R. Pattern will hold up at least couple more weeks. Nice laker fishing in shallow water on light gear wish I could be sharing with a kid. :)