2 days of fishing and baby lampreys!!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

2 days of fishing and baby lampreys!!

Post by ReelInvestment »

This weekend I was lucky enough with weather and nothing else going on, I got to make the trip to port Henry 2 days in a row. Saturday morning I arrived at 7 launched and headed into the bay, half an hour later we landed a beautiful 5lb salmon in skinny water. Go it in the boat to take some pictures and released. Then I noticed them. About 25-30 little tiny lampreys had fallen off the fish while in the net and ended up all over the back of my boat. I should have taken pictures, I’m trying to get better at that. Saturday was slow as boat traffic moved in we only had 2 more hits off the boards and had trouble keeping them hooked. Off the lake by 12:30.
Sunday morning woke up at 3:30 and headed north again. Launched before the sun came up and headed to where we had all the bites the morning before. And wouldn’t you know it, fish weren’t there! After watching an amazing sunrise we started changing up the program and still nothing. Time
To make an adjustment, so we headed for deeper water towards the bridge and started picking up a couple fish. Ended up wanting to check out some new water so I did some running and checking temps and contours, always fun to explore. During our exploring mission we caught 2 lakers and a pickerel. After grilling up some venison Italian sausage I made this fall we decided to head back south to the bridge/bay area. North of the bridge we picked up our first steel head of the season just as we went into the stained water. Ended up back in the bay as there were no boats by 3pm. Picked up a couple more salmon. The small salmon were clean, but anything over 20” had those tiny little lampreys on them. I’ve never fished this early is this normal? Has any one else been seeing them this year?
Also, just as we were doing our last loop in the bay, I looked behind the boat just in time to see a gull dive bomb out of the sky about 150 feet behind us. I was like wow nice there must be some bait here....then I realized he had hammered down on my yozuri pin minnow I had been flatlining most of the day. Interesting fight to reel in a seagull on rod and reel. He had hooks in his beak and his foot somehow, but I got him reeled in and hooks out of him and watched him fly away. I’m thinking he will think twice about grabbing the next “minnow” he sees! Not sure what kind of grand slam it is if you catch a laker a salmon a steel head AND a seagull :lol:
Good luck to anyone fishing and stay healthy!
Tight lines- Tom
5B14801A-D4DD-4006-8893-651AB5F8F022.jpeg
5B14801A-D4DD-4006-8893-651AB5F8F022.jpeg (157.28 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
3D1ABC8C-0823-47C2-AD1D-088E0C42620F.jpeg
3D1ABC8C-0823-47C2-AD1D-088E0C42620F.jpeg (143.35 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: 2 days of fishing and baby lampreys!!

Post by troutcrazy »

That is some awesome fishing, right there! Beautiful pics.

I've caught a lot of salmon with squirmy little parasites on them, in early spring, and especially in that bay! I assumed they were baby lampreys, too. But after a while I did some research, and figured out that I was finding fish leeches, not lampreys. The giveaway was that they have suckers on both ends. And they have a segmented look, though it was easy to miss at first. These: https://eol.org/pages/402811

Haha that's quite a grand slam, with the gull! I caught one once, while trying to get in on a bird tornado. Mine somehow managed to get tangled in my line without actually getting hooked, which I was thankful.
chatterbass
Species: bass

Post by chatterbass »

Great write up! What water temps were you reading in the port henry area?
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

Awesome thanks for the correction! They were for sure water leeches after looking at the picture. I was worried if they were lampreys what the rest of the season was going to look like!
I was finding 41-44 degree water in the bay both days.
chatterbass
Species: bass

Post by chatterbass »

thanks!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report and pics. Congrats on your Grand Slam :D :D
For many of us who can't make it to the water because of this pandemic situation, it's always a pleasure to read posts.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

EPIC report!!! Love the story and pics... I gotta get south soon..

I think the little lamprey are some other lamprey species that never gets bigger and don’t hurt the fish... would
Love to hear
If anyone can chime in on them little buggers....

Thanks for taking the time to write the detail!!
Matt B
Smelt_seeker
Species: Salmon

Post by Smelt_seeker »

Beauty of fish! Nice report.
Kyle smith
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

Trout crazy attached a link, they appear to be fish leeches, not lampreys. Very interesting.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Nice report, and sunrise! I watched that from Westport.
Steveo
Species: salmon, walleye

Post by Steveo »

Been fishing port henry area for the past week or so, bite has been on early in the morning. Crazy Izan,s working good, blue moon, cop car, measles and brass bikini. Fishing 10 ft down 30 feet back on the riggers, planners boards 50 feet back with mini disk. boated between 20 to 25 fish, salmon and browns they have been loaded with LAMPREYS. Killed about 12 so far. I also have seen what looks like baby Lampreys on the fish also.