First Fish this Season

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

First Fish this Season

Post by Dilly Worm »

First to keep things in perspective, with everything going on in the world, friends and neighbors sick, some testing positive, others getting laid off from work, I am fortunate just to be able to get out on the Lake and fish.

Saturday was cloudy with some wind and small waves, put in at Button Bay and targeted salmon. 1 lead-core line was a speedy shiner and a small flasher, the other was a black/silver jr Thunderstick on a 20 ft leader and 1 color of lead behind an inline planer board. Very little on the fish finder and no bites as far as Arnold Bay. Making a big u-turn in Arnolds, the planer board starts tugging and I reel in my first fish of the 2020 open-water season, this nice laker.

The problem with trolling in a rowboat is reeling in a fish on one line means there is no rowing and the boat stops moving, and the other line sinks to the bottom. The spoon got stuck firm on the bottom and after a lot of circling around and tugging, it suddenly pulled free. Turns out one of the treble hooks broke off - amazing a 12-lb mono leader won't break but a metal hook will !

Just the one fish for the day, but I'll take it ! The lure turned out to be a good match for what the laker had been eating.
Attachments
IMG_20200404_161940.jpg
IMG_20200404_161940.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
stomach-contents.jpg
stomach-contents.jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: First Fish this Season

Post by Reelax »

Worked hard for that... Thanks for the report and especially the forage pic... that helps us all!!!
Matt B
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Dilly did you keep that laker or did he cough up the minnow? I have heard they are not good to eat but I am curious.

Anyone want to take a guess on the ID for the baitfish... I am always curious about them. I found this book but still not sure. https://kutt.it/LLZi7C
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Looks like an alewife to me. Nice going on your first fish of the year, Dilly!
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

the_doctor wrote:Dilly did you keep that laker or did he cough up the minnow? I have heard they are not good to eat but I am curious.

Anyone want to take a guess on the ID for the baitfish... I am always curious about them. I found this book but still not sure. https://kutt.it/LLZi7C
Doc - I fed the laker to my family for dinner, it was delicious... I actually like them a lot, but not everyone does. I had to improvise on the recipe due to stores being out of some things and it turned out so good I will post the recipe once I get the chance.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Alewife. It what they eat now..

Lakers can be great, try soaking them
In milk over night. and breading small filet chunks in panko and deep
Frying...

Omg... you will love em
Matt B
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Crayfish wrote:Looks like an alewife to me. Nice going on your first fish of the year, Dilly!
Thanks ! I can't tell one partly-digested baitfish from another, you convinced me its an alewife.