Hand held Vhf

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
iceman
Species: salmon

Hand held Vhf

Post by iceman »

hello ! I am not new here just different screen name , formerly woolywag . so I want to buy a hand held VHF for safety , any one have recommendation ? I repowered my Lund with a 30 Hp Yamaha last year and can not wait to fish !
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Hand held Vhf

Post by Detritus »

Hi, I saw your question about the handheld VHF. One thing to consider about a handheld, is they have a maximum transmit wattage of about 6 watts, to protect you from the radiation when transmitting holding the device basically up to your head. A fixed mount (or make yourself a quick mount) traditional VHF radio will let you transmit up to 25 watts, since the antenna is supposed to be mounted a minimum of 3 feet away from people. I've got both, and the handheld is great for listening to people, but, if you need to talk to them, and they're more than a couple miles away, you'll need the 25 watts to be heard at all. But, if it has to be a handheld, buy one that floats, and is submersible rated.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

I've been using the Uniden Atlantis 295 for the past few years, works great for me.
iceman
Species: salmon

Post by iceman »

I purchased a " standard horizon hx 210 " , I am going start fishing down south , most likely Converse on week days , never fished down that way , what channel does everyone monitor ? years ago it was 68?
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Yeah, 68 is what all the fishermen seem to monitor in this area. Town Farm Bay, Otter Creek, Thompsons, Split Rock, Catch everything from Sheephead and Gar, to Salmon and Lake Trout, all within a few miles of eachother. Sometimes my and my boys refer to the area as "The Playground". Relatively small area, but, lots to do in that small area.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack