Any launches open?????

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Any launches open?????

Post by Detritus »

Haha, sorry, it was maddog with the tip, wasn't it.

Thanks maddog.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Detritus,

I'm no expert, but I like to fish copper line, and this time of year, I use a short 35 foot length of walleye copper from Bloodrun tackle. I put about 30 feet of leader in front of the copper and hook the other end of the copper to heaver line from the reel. I let out line until all the copper is off the reel and in the water and an additional 20 feet of line behind the copper. That gets me down about 6 feet. These copper lines are usually the ones to fire even on the tough bite. If you want to fish a bit more shallow than that, your pin minnow with a small split shot will work or let out less copper. I use the copper line on offshore planer boards and just flatlining. If you want lakers, I like to fish humps that pop up near deep water. My first laker of this year came from about 20 feet down right on a hump. (copper line with a medium diving stick bait- wonder bread color) Browns and salmon will be in the first 5 or six feet of water. There are a bunch of awesome fishermen on this forum and they are willing to share their tactics for catching fish as well. While the fishing was slow for us on Sunday, it was a magical day to be on the water. The mountains to the east and the west are snow capped, there are some small chunks of ice floating around, some with geese on them, and just being on the water is very therapeutic. Best of luck!
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Haven't posted pictures in a while. Just testing it out.

url=https://postimg.cc/Jyc98Vkg]Image[/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/hh3Nc0XS]Image[/
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Need some work!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice pics!!!
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Thanks for the tips greenhorn. I've never fished with copper. we've got leadcore rods we use sometimes, but, they're obviously not the same as the setup you described. I'll have to try it out.

We should have been out there sunday too. But, I hadn't water tested the boat yet to see if it would run for one, but more significant is the fact that actually getting the gear out and going fishing wasn't even on my radar. I should have paid better attention to what was going on around me weather wise. Espescially since we live 10 minutes away from Red Gate, and about 15 away from Converse. There's few good excuses not to be out there. Two of my sons actually have been asking to just launch and "go for a ride" even if we don't fish. I'm lucky to have those two interested in fishing. I've got a third coming up through in age too who seems real big on it as well. According to him, he's 6 years old, there's two kinds of fishing. "cast and throw" and "sit and watch". He prefers "cast and throw" (casting) vs "sit and watch" (trolling).

I've got to get one of those rod holder grills though I think. My 13 year old is a good pilot now, and my 10 year old is good with the riggers and rods. Maybe that will free me up to make some hot food like these other guys.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Great to hear you have some youngsters interested in fishing. There is no better legacy to leave than children that share your love of the water and the outdoors. I have two grandkids that I am going to introduce to trolling this year.