Any launches open?????

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Re: Any launches open?????

Post by nhjim »

i hope so were towing up sunday.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Nice. Are you planning to launch at Converse?
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Converse looked Great this Afternoon but BIG North wind blowing
Fish On!
nhjim

Post by nhjim »

yes we were going to hit converse. Quick transition this year ice fishing few miles south last weekend trolling this. Thanks for the update Suprise. Sat wind looked a little nasty too so figured wait till sunday.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

nhjim wrote:yes we were going to hit converse. Quick transition this year ice fishing few miles south last weekend trolling this. Thanks for the update Suprise. Sat wind looked a little nasty too so figured wait till sunday.
GOOD LUCK
nhjim

converse 3/8

Post by nhjim »

myself and drynet hit converse before light this am. 3/8" skim ice out about 30 yds from shore. after some work there good to go. ramp is in good shape parking lot partially plowed but melting out nicely. Lakers were eager for first 1 1/2 until the sun came out then what we had going died off. ended up with a handful few good ones in the mix. couldnt get anything else going rest of morning. water temp never broke 33 degrees. nice to be off of the ice and back in the boat. 1 other boat out and another launching when we came off around noon. As always thanks to the ones that post launch conditions. good luck to all
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I second Jim's thank you to the ones posting launch conditions. I made the 2:15 minute drive to Converse Bay today with a fishing buddy based on the comments posted here about launch conditions on Converse. This was my first outing of 2020. It started a bit rough. My freshly charged battery couldn't carry a load and I found a missing hose clamp for a fuel line. Boat wouldn't start, dam! A drive back to South Burlington for some parts and we were ready to go. Didn't get on the water until about 9:30. Decided to explore Town Farm Bay. Most of the ice is out and we were able to get all the way to the back of the bay behind the two small islands. However, the water wasn't any warmer than the main lake. One trolling pass produced a 4 ft long stick, so we headed back out to the main lake. We searched for bait and hungry fish until about 2:30. We managed to find one 8 pound laker, but like Jim said, the bite was over. Fantastic day on the water and the shake down trip is under my belt. Looking forward to the next day on the big lake!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

After today I think everything will be open on the main lake... I’ll be launching with Crazy Ivan and DreamCatcher from converse with plans to battle the south blow tomorrow 1st light... the fishin phase tables for tomorrow are TOO good to miss.....Another season of fishing every month of the year.... 4 of last 5 years have worked out where there was non stop trolling.... gotta love Lake Champlain!!!
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I was out there today briefly out in front of Meach Cove in shelburne. I was water testing our new cold water boat I got from a friend this January. I've had the Force 150 outboard down to its diapers about 3 times this past month going from flywheel to skeg, checking it all out and replacing all of the worn or broken parts, returning it all to factory specs. Lots of puzzles in there to figure out, but is running like a dream now. We love the pontoon, but, found most of our fishing to be cold water species last year, and that boat doesn't much like waves more than a foot and a half, or provide it's fishermen much protection from the wind or weather. Sucks when you spear a wave in 35 degree water, and all of your gear and lunch is floating around in an inch of water on the deck.

I can't believe you guys are catching fish on the troll out there already. I wasn't even going to bother to try for another couple weeks, but, since the boat's running, and there's been a few fish caught, Me and the boys are probably going to have to go out there and give it a try, maybe this weekend! Any advice for technique? We're probably going to try little stick baits with a split shot, maybe try our inline planer boards again. Maybe some small spoons? Way back and out to the sides, shallow and slow?

By the way, I'm in the market for an old cannon Mag 10a type downrigger motor, or motors. They're obsolete now, and you can't get them new. I've got one that's wicked slow, and after pulling that apart down to the armature, I think it's been rewound with thicker wire, making it operate slower. Ha! Boy can I get off on tangents. Anyway, we're excited for the season this year, and hope to get out there soon.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Jack,

Call Jeff Goldberg at Fish 307 he may have Used parts available. Some years ago we traded some old Cannons taken in for rebuild and he gave us an allowance towards some New Scotties. Carl & I were there today so Carl could buy a FishHawk and some TraxTec Track for his new boat.

Fish307 (518-798-9203) jeff@fish307.com

Best Luck, Randy
Fish On!
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Thanks Randy, that's a great store. I drove by a hundred times on the way to my mother in law's house in new jersey, finally stopped in this past fall. I actually got all of my other little parts and pieces to refresh the riggers from those guys through the mail, bushings, bearings, etc. But, they don't have any motors anymore.

One of my boys just told me to mount the old scotties on the new boat. He's probably right, I just didn't want to go through the trouble of getting new mounts, mounting them, and figuring out longer booms for the riggers, new wiring ends, etc, etc. Swap in a new motor is a 10 minute job.

Jack

Jack
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Ask that same question on Lake Ontario United and I bet you'll get a response. Good luck !
Maddog
Species: salmonoids

Post by Maddog »

Detritus,

Try A & P Custom Tackle - ask for Pete. He does a lot of Cannon Downrigger repairs.
He may have the old Mag 10 motor you're looking for.

Address:
155 Hidley Rd
Wynantskill, New York 12198

Phone: (518) 283-5920

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AP-Custo ... 2835282367
EagleEd7
Species: Trout

Post by EagleEd7 »

I have now slowed down on my fishing, but continue to be amazed by all the help/cooperation posted to help others fishermen/women. This site has always been a source of positive information to help others. Continued tight lines!

Eagle Ed
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Eagle Ed,

I talked to Pete, he said he has some, but, he wants to test the amperage draw on them before he sells one. I'm supposed to call back tomorrow. A stand up guy obviously, thanks for the recommendation. He also said to get rid of those mag 10a"s, haha. But, like a lot of guys, I just make do with what I have. Besides, you could put me in a boat with bottom tracking riggers, fish hawk, sidescan sonar, and all you guys in a bathtub with a fishing pole, and I'd still get out fished! My downriggers aren't the problem, haha. Thanks again eagle ed.

Jack

Jack