2020 shakedown cruise

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

2020 shakedown cruise

Post by Reelax »

Hit coast guard launch in Burlington with Thorny on Sunday to see if we could find salmon and test out the equipment after being off the water since the shootout. Glad to see everything running fine and the new big buddy heater really cranks the cab up to temp quickly...

Rob hasn’t fished on Reelax in years so I just drive and let him play with the toys... we setup just outside of Shelburne bay and trolled in to some key spots... we found good workable bait clouds quickly and stated the assault...

Bam.. laker... bam laker.... bam laker....repeat...!repeat...

Hm.. we pic and run outside to saxtons and run towards Quaker... bam laker... bam laker..... ban laker...

We adjust presentation... bam laker...

We change speed. !bam laker...

We cooked jalapeño dogs on the grill and got a hit...

Bam laker...

Fished over 6 hrs and covered years of stories...

At around 4 we decided we needed to pickup and call it a day...

No salmon were even bothered during this trip... they are not stressed at all, where ever that are... go get em...

Fish on!!
Attachments
1D3FD7DA-9BE4-4EED-AC46-2F45AEC27924.jpeg
1D3FD7DA-9BE4-4EED-AC46-2F45AEC27924.jpeg (198.99 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
8682DFE3-FD19-405D-B64F-257E1A2DCB28.jpeg
8682DFE3-FD19-405D-B64F-257E1A2DCB28.jpeg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
C8855FC3-45FA-402E-B835-7717F9D26297.jpeg
C8855FC3-45FA-402E-B835-7717F9D26297.jpeg (191.18 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
195A60C0-8E15-494B-B798-D59E4BA9467C.jpeg
195A60C0-8E15-494B-B798-D59E4BA9467C.jpeg (143.72 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
CE2AA99B-3E1C-46EC-B0BB-77D1903E55AE.jpeg
CE2AA99B-3E1C-46EC-B0BB-77D1903E55AE.jpeg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
Matt B
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: 2020 shakedown cruise

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Hum...
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

nice pics and report
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Fairly good salmon action today out off Split Rock and Thompsons although we only scored a single laker. Our trouble was some equipment failures and novice mistakes as the fish approached the net. But our biggest equipment failure was the the 150 Mercury that powers the Black Ghost. It turned out to be a complete loss of the drive system caused by a severe voltage drop. That's not a good situation in today's fairly stiff winds and waves. Thanks to SeaArk we were towed back to Cedar Beach Launch. Many thanks to SeaArk and the other guy that responded to our weakened radio signal!

The problem was detected New Years Day with a significant but gradual voltage drop and alarm notifications. We were concerned but made it back without incident and felt good that the alternator responded nicely once we were running at higher RPMs. Back at the shop we removed the alternator and had it tested at the Auto Electric Company on Boyer Circle. They replaced a rectifier and we were back in business for the weekend. Should be fine now. Right? Wrong! Initially, the voltage seem okay but gradually began to drop so I was thinking it was time to head in. Then I ran a downrigger up after a release and grrrrrrr. So we picked up immediately still assuming it would be fine. Then the voltage was around 8V after the riggers were cranked up! No problem, we're powering up towards the launch. But the throttle response never happened. After a few convulsions the motor shut down and all of the electronics shut down. The last voltage reading was in the mid 6s. Fortunately, the radio was still on and we were able to transmit well enough to reach our rescuers.

Lessons Learned:
- Take extra precautions when at risk of a mechanical failure. In this case, I could have installed a new battery (that might still be the problem). I have a second compartment wired for the second battery but I removed that battery several years ago for some reason. I'm thinking I'll go back to 2.
- When you have concerns about problems then immediately let others know by radio so they can be aware even if it isn't immediately necessary for assistance. I did this on Wednesday when Instigator was out on the water.
- Get a tow harness for the Black Ghost. The SeaArk had one and it worked great and made towing alot easier than without one.
- Did i also mention that I have a hand-held radio somewhere. Yea, I think I'll track it down, charge it up, and keep it in my gear bag.
Black Ghost (Ken)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

that you got in safely ken
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Wow Ken... thanks for taking the time to write that whole story... it is a great reminder as we head into frostbite season.... how was the launch???

Glad to hear you got home OK... being stranded on the lake this time of year is NO laughing matter...

One extra item is a drift bag to throw off the bow if you loose power to keep the nose into the waves so you don’t flip if it is really snotty....

The salmon update is VERY promising... looks like I’m going south soon...

The name of this thread is fitting.... would love to have others chime in when they get out for the 1st time in 2020...

It IS going to be banner year... I smell multi salmon over 8lb and maybe one over 10lbs before we hit ‘21!! Go fleet...
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Sorry Matt, I'm not as optimistic about the salmon bite as you are. Many indicators just don't add up. I hope to eat these words .
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Hi Matt,
Glad to hear you did your 2020 shakedown. The salmons did not get the memo for the party but you and Rob had fun with the lakers.

Glad also to know Black Ghost mishap with his engine problem had no serious consequences and can easily be fix by a good mechanic.

Hats up to SeaArk for helping Ken.

Keep the reports coming, and be safe on and off the water.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

C-Hawk wrote:Sorry Matt, I'm not as optimistic about the salmon bite as you are. Many indicators just don't add up. I hope to eat these words .
Same here! :cry:
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

C-Hawk wrote:Sorry Matt, I'm not as optimistic about the salmon bite as you are. Many indicators just don't add up. I hope to eat these words .
I was shown last year that the salmon are still there they have just moved spots and are concentrated in different areas. Those areas are south and I have been trailering my boat to new launches. Converse used to be my favorite launch, now it is too far north... hope that Changes again this year cause I used to love fishing salmon around providence and stave...

Caught over 300 legal salmon in 2019 on Reelax. That would not have happened if CI didn’t show me the light... the 6lbers we caught last year will be 8+. Lbs soon. THEY are still there.. don’t give up, just change with it..

Someday fishing North will come back, maybe this summer. There is still a great spring bite in the inland sea!

It’s not the end, it’s just a swing of the curve that will keep changing over time.... .

Ps the lamprey are pretty big right now... this one tasted terrible!

Fish on!
Attachments
370108C2-99AA-4B73-9924-E3AB890D0A64.jpeg
370108C2-99AA-4B73-9924-E3AB890D0A64.jpeg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
3A984869-F803-46EE-8580-FC72AC418846.jpeg
3A984869-F803-46EE-8580-FC72AC418846.jpeg (120.21 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Matt B
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

You are a sick puppy !
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I agree with Reelax.
Salmons are still in the lake, but not always where we used to catch them.
We need to adapt to the changes and try new locations, tactics, and approaches.
The most thrilling parts of fishing are: Searching, Finding them, and getting them to Bite.
Isn't this the #1 reason we put all those electronics toys on our boats?

Thanks Matt (and many others) for putting so much time and dedication year after year chasing them and sharing your experiences. It seems easy for you to catch them, but we mostly forget how much non-reported time and effort you put to get those results.

Over the years, I was very fortunate to be invited on multiple fishing boats. Every captain may fish differently, but all had the same goal; Enjoying a safe time on the water searching for rod benders, and making good memories with crew and friends.
If I want fish to eat, I can easily go to the market, It's easy, a lot cheaper, and fast.
I fish for the thrill of not knowing what will happen during the next few hours, and the hope of something exciting to happen.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Matt, did you work out the mystery engine alarm on your Merc?
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I can't decide which is most shocking: missing salmon, frostbite electrical trouble, or a lamprey in the face!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

BottomDollar wrote:Matt, did you work out the mystery engine alarm on your Merc?
Andy, once I filled up with super from another station, it all went away. I think I got a tank of bad gas...
Matt B