Port henry - 12/7

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port henry - 12/7

Post by ChessieMan »

Managed to talk Scott into another try, so we were at the PH launch at 8AM, took a little extra time to get the top up and side curtains on - vinyl is not very flexible at 5F - ran up to Fishville and worked up/down the NY side 1st @ 100', then 80', 60 and finally tight - managed one 17" laker - not much bait. Headed to the "hump" off Potash Point and Wow! Bait and laker after laker - I think we boated 8 and lost 4-5 more - mostly off dipsys.

Around noon, the bite slowed or we caught all the dumb ones, so we headed toward the bridge - did a couple loops through and around the PH "holes" - picked a couple more 17-18" laker and then the port dipsy Slammed! - Scott grabbed and for awhile I though we had a big brown, head shaking and side-to-side runs - but it turned into a 29" slimmer

Fishy - that was one of 6 that hit the HB Fishy1 - don't leave home without it!

And to paraphrase Pete Seeger (and Joan B., Judy C., Peter, Paul and Mary,...) - "where have all the salmon gone....."

Can't close without mentioning snacks and lunch - dry cured venison back strap, smoked salmon and a salmon (Lake Ontario) patty with capers and cocktail on an onion bagel!

I'm not finished yet - I will catch a salmon, I will catch a salmon, I will catch a salmon,...….
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: Port henry - 12/7

Post by finsntins »

nice job ed,im jealous!!!!!!being on the water catching lakers is better than sitting on the couch staring out the window looking at a foot of snow and the thermometer reading -10!!!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I wonder if the salmon have moved north? Seems they should be South like they normally are, but with Chawk going all summer without one up north, maybe they have decided to take a journey to an area they haven’t visited? The hatchery returns weren’t terrible from the sounds of it, so they must be out there, but we didn’t see any small ones all summer....

Hate to say it but with consistent bad results year after year with stocking, maybe the state needs to reconsider if LL Salmon is the species to spend the money on. I’d be just as happy if the money went to steelies and browns, both much hardier species.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

keithm87 wrote:Hate to say it but with consistent bad results year after year with stocking, maybe the state needs to reconsider if LL Salmon is the species to spend the money on. I’d be just as happy if the money went to steelies and browns, both much hardier species.
maybe the solution is to control the cormorant population, or to allow people to harvest them - they seem to be eating a lot of the small salmon
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Cormorants, lamprey, lack of natural spawning habitat, the biomass has also changed from smelt to alewife's, to name a few of the known problems.... I agree with the lack of juvenile fish caught the last two years would suggest it was not just a fluke with the salmon fishing in Lake Champlain, huge bummer for me as I don't fish for Lakers. I used to fish walleye and pretty much gave up on those as well. It would be fun to blast some cormorants!
Riddler
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

ed glad you found hump at pot ash . x,s 2 on the cormorants. on a short note lots of non members had a great year on salmon fishing the unxepected and going away from traditional lures and way to fish them. they are there and the rivers at this time are full of them. maybe change your locations and dont make long runs might be the answer. i know for sure port henry ia holding salmon
ed the fishy1 honey bee catches fish and even fish we dont target.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report... haven’t been on the pond in a few weeks. Finally filled a deer tag, so it is time to get Reelax out if the barn soon!!! The salmon should be active very soon. I know late November and December last year was great...

Fish on!
Matt B