Converse Launch ??

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Converse Launch ??

Post by DreamWeaver »

Hoping to fish the southern end of the lake tomorrow, has anyone launched from Converse ?
I have heard verbally the water level is low and launching from converse is difficult.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Re: Converse Launch ??

Post by mudchuck »

it is low, and will be very windy tomorrow
DreamWeaver

Post by DreamWeaver »

Thanks mudchuck, however your wind conditions conflict with

https://www.weather.gov/btv/recreation

Windfinder site
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/col ... -champlain

What is the source of your wind information, I`m curious
Attachments
LC-sat-oct5.jpg
LC-sat-oct5.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Die hards launched successfully3 years ago when I believe the levels hit around 92. It was the third lowest level ever recorded at the time. Don't worry yet.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Lake came up pretty good in the last week. 94.5 ft. (2" of rain expected Monday). So far so good. No worries yet. 94.2 ft has always been the level we started hitting a few spots in the mud stirring up mud with the motor up. 10 days ago it was at that point before the rains helped. Should be up and over 95 ft after Monday.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I launched there today and it was shallow but fine trimmed up. Maybe 18" of water at the low spots?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

BottomDollar wrote:I launched there today and it was shallow but fine trimmed up. Maybe 18" of water at the low spots?

How was the bite Andy?
Matt B
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Matt, just a couple of small lakers. Sunny, no wind, the temp was 57° top to about 80'. This was the narrows down to Westport. More wind today won't help, salmon could be anywhere.

I did hear a couple people catching them on 68, so they're out there.
DreamWeaver

Post by DreamWeaver »

Thanks for the encouraging responses and reports. The wind predictions were right on. We launched from Converse Bay around 9 AM and we found the launch as reported by BottomDollar. We set lines at Split Rock and made our way south down to Barn Rock. There were bait balls from 25' to 75', but the predators did not cooperate, only big fat perch did. We picked the lines at Barn Rock and headed back to Converse Bay, where we reset our lines at 25' to 70' and trolled between Thompson Point and Picket Island. Our line set at 40' fired and landed our 1st laker, and on our next run the line at 70' fired and we boated our 2nd laker. The 1st laker took a spin&glow and the 2nd preferred a green&black spoon. Our trolling speed for the day was 2.6 to 3.1 for the day. We closed out the day at 3 PM and headed home. In all, it was a BEAUTIFUL Day !!!
LC_Oct-5-2019.jpg
LC_Oct-5-2019.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Attachments
LC2_Oct-5-2019.jpg
LC2_Oct-5-2019.jpg (149.6 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Last edited by DreamWeaver on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Dreamweaver, I liked your report.

Funny, I had sort of the opposite luck w/ locations Saturday. Started at 6:30 at Lewis Creek boat launch and spent most of the morning in Town Farm Bay and around Thompson point. The fish finder was showing lots of bait 20 to 50' down and what looked like big individual fish anywhere from 50' to 100'. Nothing was biting and I kept at it, figuring if I could just try the right lure I'd catch something with all those fish there, and thinking salmon ought to be gathering there before they run up Lewis Creek to spawn. Probably spent too long trying different spoons/flashers, streamer flys/dodgers with no luck before I finally gave up and headed to the NY side to look for lakers. Whallon's Bay had nothing on the fish finder and nothing biting, but trolling south from split rock there looked to be fish from 20' to 40' deep and finally at 11:45 I got a decent size laker on 4 colors of lead core using a green/yellow Dattilo's spoon and a fish flash. And a bonus lamprey :(

by then I was late for lunch w/ the family so had to head home, otherwise would have stuck around to find more... maybe location had less to do with it than timing, we both had to wait and wait for the lakers to turn on ???

I'm happy w/ a single laker for the day because it ends the September Curse of the Big Perch of the Deep. After nothing but white perch, yellow perch, and more yellow perch all Sept, October is off to a good start !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

DreamWeaver wrote: In all, it was a BEAUTIFUL Day !!!
I second that
Attachments
IMG_20191005_115750.jpg
IMG_20191005_115750.jpg (137.12 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
IMG_20191005_064639.jpg
IMG_20191005_064639.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
DreamWeaver

Post by DreamWeaver »

Always great when fellow fishermen enjoy the LC and put fish in the boat on such a beautiful day.