Westport - 9/20

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Westport - 9/20

Post by ChessieMan »

Yeeeesss - I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaack!

After a terrible striper season and 4 weeks in Czech Republic for business June/Aug - I was ready for some fishing - so ready in fact that after putting a new Fish Hawk 4X on the Money Pit, I had to get on the water. So I called Bill and said -"we're going fishing" - "probably won't catch much, but we're going anyway!"

And we did - pulled into Westport ~ 7:45 yesterday, loaded, launched and started shaking things out - first problem was, Bill is left handed (wrong handed?) and couldn't figure out how the reels worked - not an insurmountable issue, but an omen.

Figured out the Fish Hawk pretty fast and easily found 50F around 60 feet down - and then - nothing happened for a long, long time - fished south edges in the bay, crossed to Scotch Bonnett, crossed back and ran up past Snake Den and ended up in Whalon's.

Finally hooked up a 24" laker off Split Rock - came up like a dead boot. Crossed to Thompson's and almost lost my new Fish Hawk on Day 1 when I wasn't watching and ran up on the ledge - Whew! won't do that again!

1PM, 1 fish, time to head to the barn - but made a last stop as we rounded into NW Bay - put two riggers down and started putting the boat in order - actually saw the port rigger fire off - "Grab it Bill!" he did and the battle was on - fish was a head shaker, but stayed down - me - "it's a laker", Bill " No it doesn't fell like the last one" - needless to say Bill's 5 hour's of Champlain experience versus my 10 years left him paying off the bet (Who was buying the ice cream cones at Stewart's) - but I have to give him credit - it was a LOT bigger laker than I thought - 32"!!!

Biggest laker Bill ever caught - ended up a great day - wonderful weather, new toy worked (and I didn't lose it), Bill landed a PB laker and I got free ice cream cone (orange sherbet) - I can't wait till the season really starts
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Westport - 9/20

Post by fishy1 »

nice chessie man keep on chasing now that your home
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Jessie. Glad you did not loose your new toy.
Congrats Bill for your personal best laker. It's a nice size fish.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Awesome looking laker!!!
Fishawk
Species: Trout, bass, cats

Post by Fishawk »

Fished the same water 07:00-15:00 and all I had to show was a 6” yellow perch. Glad someone was able to find the fish.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

60 feet! I was guessing it was higher, which might explain why I couldn't catch anything in that same area the other day except for a bunch of perch.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report... glad to hear you are back on the pond....
Matt B