Slow weekend

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Slow weekend

Post by ReelInvestment »

Headed for the pond Saturday morning with my girlfriend and father to meet my brother at converse for a 7am launch time. Excited to have my father and brother on board ReelInvestment for the first time ever to fish for lakers that I thought I had somewhat figured out. I was quickly reminded why fishing is called fishing and not catching! Headed south of sloop for the laker program to try to get some fish in the boat. Fished there for 3 hours bouncing bottom and catching only 2, one about 7 pounds and one 16 Incher. Discouraged we ran back to the dock to drop my brother off, he had a strict 10am leave time. After dropping him off I decided to just setup 4 riggers and 2 dipsy rods and find temp and just relax and see what happens. As we trolled south out of converse a rigger fired 51 feet down on a fire tiger speedy shiner a 5 pound smallmouth! It put on a show for us jumping several times on its way to the net. Reset and continued south. 10 minutes went by and a dipsy fired it was running roughly 62 feet down and guess what, another smallmouth! Not quite as big but still fun. We trolled until 1:45 picking up just a couple more little lakers in whalens bay. While picking up supercab called on the radio looking for a tow. We picked up and headed to give him a hand. His motor ended up starting and we met him at the dock safe and sound.
After getting home Saturday afternoon and checking the weather I had to make the trip back up to Champlain. I picked up my neighbor Steve at 4:30 and we headed north for converse. Arriving just after daylight we launched to a beautiful calm lake. Set for salmon we headed south. Trolled for 4 hours with nothing but a yellow perch that came on a cheater running at about 35 feet down. I tried everything I could think of, vertical flashers, different speed, different colors, different depths and temps and not one salmon to show for it. FRUSTRATING! But it keeps me going back because I know one day they will just be on! Seemed like Sunday everyone had a slower day from what I was hearing on the radio. Not sure who it was but I heard one guy say, “we may know where they were, but we never know where they are”. I couldn’t agree more! All in all a good weekend the lake was enjoyable to be on even if the fish didn’t cooperate. I’m excited to try for salmon in the fall this year I hear they tend to bite better.
Good luck to everyone fishing not sure if I’ll be out this weekend and the following I’m headed to Ontario.
Tight lines -ReelInvestment
TUnamas

Re: Slow weekend

Post by TUnamas »

Good effort. Tough time of year. Sorry to hear Supercab was having issues, but good on you for responding. That Karma will pay out this Fall!
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Slow weekend

Post by fishy1 »

nice report glad your coming back the lakers and salmon are there and the bite will pick up. having fun trying is what counts . those smallies are everywhere.