Shelburne Bay Surprise Sat 8/10

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Shelburne Bay Surprise Sat 8/10

Post by Dilly Worm »

I tried trolling Shelburne Bay on Saturday, thinking with all the wind and waves it was a protected spot with good chances for salmon and/or lakers. I spent much of the morning with no luck, trying different streamer flies/dodgers and spoons/flashers on 8 to 10 colors of lead core.

When I finally got a fish on the line in later in the morning it was in ~60 FOW, just north of the "C" buoy, and it felt like a lake trout, which made sense considering I was trolling around 2 mph w/ a speedy shiner and digitroll flasher around 50 ft deep... except when I reeled it in, I discovered I had a big smallmouth bass ! Very surprising to have caught a bass that deep, wondering if anyone else has accidentally caught one that far down ?

Or if lead-core gets stuck on top of the thermocline, which I have heard of but don't really understand how that would happen.

Not sure what the salmon and lakers were doing that day either...

this was supposed to be a lake trout:
IMG_20190810_104737.jpg
IMG_20190810_104737.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Shelburne Bay Surprise Sat 8/10

Post by C-Hawk »

I have caught big smallmoth in the middle of the Broad Lake, 90' down on the riggers this time of year. Disappointing when at first you think nice deep water salmon, but soon they come up and reel in like a big perch
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

smallmouth, pike and walleye will come from deep trolling this time of year. They are patrolling the deep to find food and they found your set... It is always nice the catch a mix as long as it is not an eel!

Thanks for the report!
Matt B
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I got an eel last year broad lake 65 down over 90... what a surprise that was, still haven’t gotten the nasty slime off haha
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

C-Hawk wrote:I have caught big smallmoth in the middle of the Broad Lake, 90' down on the riggers this time of year. Disappointing when at first you think nice deep water salmon, but soon they come up and reel in like a big perch
Smallies are great eating, just a lot of work for no salmon. I had the opposite happen when trolling for bass using a Mepps spinner. Caught a 18" silver. Never know what's watching.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

years ago on lake george we caught them 60 to 100 feet down im betting they still do so champlain wouldnt be any dfferent i wouldnt think as champlain is loaded with bass both smallies and big mouths
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

keithm87 wrote:I got an eel last year broad lake 65 down over 90... what a surprise that was, still haven’t gotten the nasty slime off haha
keith thats a ist still dont know how you caught an eel trolling and i would never pull an eel in a boat good luck trying to get the slime off . :o :o :o