Back from converse sipping a miller

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Back from converse sipping a miller

Post by ReelInvestment »

Just got home and got the boat unhooked and truck unloaded after a long day of washing spoons, and as I sit here and sip a miller I’m replaying the day in my head. We had 4 lines set in the water by 5:45 found 55 degrees down 60 and headed south for Thompson’s. Marked bait in our spoon depth and trolled back and forth for a while picking a couple small lakers, 14” was the biggest. Decided to continue south. Just north of diamond island a rod fired and fish on. 23” salmon putting on a show jumping 4 times before the net. Decided we wanted to put it on the grill tonight so In the box it goes. Trolled back and forth in that area for about 2 more hours with nothing but a 7 pound laker to show for it, he inhaled a crazy Ivan purple brown trout at 2.7 mph I was impressed!
Decided it was time to put fish in the boat so we pulled lines and headed for sloop on the laker program. Started on the flat on the 80ft line and headed north, went all the way above sloop and only marked 1 fish on bottom and landed about a 4 pounder. Decided to pull lines because of the nice day and make the run to Schuyler. Trolled there for the rest of the afternoon pulling 5 more decent lakers but nothing crazy. Marked tons on bottom there but not many takers. Threw a lot of different stuff at them too from rapalas to spin in glows and every color spoon in between they just weren’t having it.
So I’m thinking the problem to my lack in salmon catching is patience. Whether I’m too patient in one spot and possibly not patient enough to keep at it, someday I’ll figure those silver bullets out! All in all a great day even if the fish weren’t on fire better than work!
Taking the boat to Oswego next weekend for the second time this season so we will see how that goes. I may make a trip to Champlain this Sunday again if the weather is good, good luck and tight lines this weekend!
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Back from converse sipping a miller

Post by fishy1 »

keep chasing and the kings are on fire in oswego. on lake ontario united there is a post there is a lack fo smaller kings i guess thats not a bad thing there is a lack of bigger salmon here.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

A 23” Salmon has been about as good as it gets this summer... you got the senior age class in our lake, you should be proud of your results... were you using anything to help with speed at ball? It is challenging to get a consistent salmon bite down there without a probe as the currents are sooooo active..

Thanks for the great report! Any pics of your silver?
Matt B
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

I thought it was a decent fish for sure! I have a fish hawk x4 I purchased this year and has amazed me at the difference in speed from top to at depth. The currents on Champlain are wild!
0B4518DF-D1E0-49B0-A8A3-3272A9D14779.jpeg
0B4518DF-D1E0-49B0-A8A3-3272A9D14779.jpeg (178.7 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Attachments
20D62253-879F-4D0B-B851-F3AB0FE8DDBF.jpeg
20D62253-879F-4D0B-B851-F3AB0FE8DDBF.jpeg (191.24 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

These are 2 decent fish on the pics. Keep at them, you'll find a pattern that works for you.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Love the pics.... THANKS!

That is a huge tail on the salmon!
Matt B
billfishermc
Species: salmon,lake trout, bass

Post by billfishermc »

Hi
Thursday and Friday tried for salmon but no luck landing any. Maybe too slow at 2.4/2.5. A few small lakers and several missed. So switched to jigging in 90 to 105 with 2 oz heads and 5 inch swim baits. Found the odd fish mark, electric anchor on, dropped to bottom then jigged up fast 15 feet. Hit on the rise. After one or two moved to more fish marks right on the bottom. Caught about 15 each day, lots of hits and missed,lots of pigs, several over 10, largest weighted in at 13.5 lbs. Broke my arms on a med-heavy spinning rod. Sure a great fishery. PS added a small treble stinger and helped catch ratio. Good luck all. Thks Reelex.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You got my attention billfishermc. I have tried jigging a few times with no success any advice or photos would be awesome. send me a PM if you have any additional info. And thanks for your post.
ReelInvestment

Post by ReelInvestment »

That’s awesome about the laker jigging! I’ve always wanted to try that. I need to figure out what kind of trolling motor I can deploy and run with a controller, I don’t have easy access to the bow on the islander.
billfishermc

Post by billfishermc »

Trolling motor -minn kota make a 101# auto deploy and auto retrieve on 36 volts. don't know if your deck height is a shaft length problem. Back troll?

Re Jigging -We were on Northern Schuyler reef Friday and East of S. Island Saturday. My sonar on 200hz, zoom to 50 top, 110 bottom. only shows slight bump red over orange. We tred to find 3 or more close together (using electric) trolling and then put on anchor lock. Best rod and spinning reel is salt water (open bail drop) with fast retrieve to get up off bottom quickly. Stinger 3 inch on back of 2 oz ball jig (sharpen jig). most hits on the rise. We could see the jig rise and if a fish was following it up. -a great first time picture (scroll at 5 on 10). After 1 or 2 fish move and search again. Best stop was under a large bait ball with bottom at 50 ft. Jig colour not important. Swimbait paddletail of lighter colour with green or blur top, -use scent. Only had 5 inch but 6 or 7 might be better. I am ordering 3 oz for more windy or if column current. Reef had a strong current -line angled. Line was vert. on East of I slope. Best was slope where depth lines very close. Keep jig up so can see marks when moving. Navionics platinium. Good luck. bill
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

billfishermc wrote:Trolling motor -minn kota make a 101# auto deploy and auto retrieve on 36 volts. don't know if your deck height is a shaft length problem. Back troll?

Re Jigging -We were on Northern Schuyler reef Friday and East of S. Island Saturday. My sonar on 200hz, zoom to 50 top, 110 bottom. only shows slight bump red over orange. We tred to find 3 or more close together (using electric) trolling and then put on anchor lock. Best rod and spinning reel is salt water (open bail drop) with fast retrieve to get up off bottom quickly. Stinger 3 inch on back of 2 oz ball jig (sharpen jig). most hits on the rise. We could see the jig rise and if a fish was following it up. -a great first time picture (scroll at 5 on 10). After 1 or 2 fish move and search again. Best stop was under a large bait ball with bottom at 50 ft. Jig colour not important. Swimbait paddletail of lighter colour with green or blur top, -use scent. Only had 5 inch but 6 or 7 might be better. I am ordering 3 oz for more windy or if column current. Reef had a strong current -line angled. Line was vert. on East of I slope. Best was slope where depth lines very close. Keep jig up so can see marks when moving. Navionics platinium. Good luck. bill
Good stuff Bill, your letting out a secret way to catch MONSTER Lakers... seems the bigger Lakers spend most of their time right on bottom.

On a calm day you don’t even need a spotlock and this can be done in any sandy hump that is between 50-100 fow on the whole lake.... except in the inland sea. Lakers don’t live there.. :shock:

Thanks for your informative post, after landing a 13.5 I am sure you are inspiring many to try it.... :o
Matt B
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Great post on jigging, thanks. It's something I want to try more of on slow days.
billfishermc

Post by billfishermc »

Far from a slow technique -fri..'n tiring. No sitting, get longer arms by days end. Still, can just hold a wet one!