New forum member

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

New forum member

Post by ReelInvestment »

Hi all I’ve been fishing Champlain for about 4 years now and been checking in on the forum watching reports and learning from everyone since. I finally decided to join. This is a great forum with a bunch of very talented fisherman and I just wanted to say thanks to all that have shared tips and tricks of the trade!
I bought a new boat this season after my 19 foot invader died and I was a year without a boat. I ended up finding a 1987 Starcraft islander named MR GADGET, I will be changing that name to REELINVESTMENT at some point. Anyways I normally launch out of converse and I’m up there almost every Saturday. Hope to see some of you up there and introduce myself, and also hoping to fish the salmon shootout as well, thanks all and tight lines!
-Tom, ReelInvestment
striper192001
Species: salmon

Re: New forum member

Post by striper192001 »

Hey Tom,

Were you in the tan Islander that was loading onto your trailer yesterday around 2:00 pm? If so, I was the Crestliner right behind you. I too are getting back in the game after a few years and this forum has been very helpful.
We went 2 for 6 yesterday as we couldnt keep the salmon on. First fish was a small laker. All but one came on the upper release 10 ft up with ball at 42 feet.
We saw some guys jigging over by Split Rock and don't know if they hooked anything but would love info on jigging big lakers. Thanks everyone !
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Yes that was me watching the show at the launch with the little dingy taking up the whole left side . We went 6 for 11 yesterday they seemed to not be getting hooked very good for some reason only 1 salmon. We set up for salmon in converse, found 55 degrees at 35 down, and trolled north (just because all season I had been setting up and going south)all the way to four brothers lost 2 salmon and hooked a couple small lakers. Being that far north we made a run up to schuyler island to see if the laker size was any better there than around sloop and it was. Then the waves started and we got sick of getting the snot beat out of us so we made the long bumpy run back to sloop and trolled for lakers for about 2 hours with not even a hit. Marked plenty of fish on bottom but no takers. Even the guys that were jigging right there picked up and left.

Beautiful boat by the way! I was commenting on that to my girlfriend on the way home. I think I said “someday I’ll have one like that” she just rolled her eyes!

Good luck next time you’re out we will be up next Saturday if the weather is good, Tight lines!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum Reelinvestment, and thanks for sharing your fishing experience with us.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Short Hits:
1. Try some scent.
2. "Stinger" hook (like second hook on salmon fly)
3. Check your hook points (keep file handy).
4. Little more speed.
5. Touch your lures as little as possible with your hands.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Add to that, on days where we are getting bumps with no one home, I will tighten the horizontal release on my chamberlains. It increases chance of a non-release, but also seems to stick them better when they bite, since it takes more force to release. But there are days where no matter what you do they just bump and run.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

All I can say is welcome to you BOTH and thanks for taking the time to contribute. It is new members like you that are the life blood of this forum.

THANKS!

Now lets have some fun fishing! I’m launching at Apple island tomorrow at 6am with Dreamcatcher and Bottomdollar with chicken wings, Italian sausage and venison backstraps on the bbq... hope we have time to take a couple pics!

If your out, call us in ch68... we take orders!

Fish on!
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ps... sharpen hooks ever time you deploy... it make a BIG difference.
Matt B
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Welcome to the forum! I was once a new member and you entered a fantastic group of fishermen and fantastic forum, hope to see you out there!!