Navionics W/ I-pad or Tablet

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Navionics W/ I-pad or Tablet

Post by Off season »

Does anyone Use the Navionics chip with a Tablet or I-pad ? How does this work? What would I need to do this? Thanks Paul
"OFF SEASON"
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Navionics W/ I-pad or Tablet

Post by the_doctor »

You do not need the chip to use an iPad or tablet for Navionics. Simply go to the App Store and search for the Navionics app (I believe it comes up under the official name "Boating HD"). The app has a free trial period then they will ask for $20 or so to keep using it. If you already paid for a chip you can try calling or emailing Navionics and see if they'll give you the app for free.
You need WiFi or a cell connection to download the app and when you first set it up, in order to download the maps. But once you have the map saved, you can use it without WiFi or a cell connection.

If you want your sonar to show on the app in addition to the map, there's a little more to it. You need a compatible sonar device; see here: https://kutt.it/YN2miP

In my opinion, the app works very well. I use it with the Vexilar Sonar "bobber" when I kayak sometimes. Hope this helps!
Off season

Post by Off season »

Is there a particular I pad or “Generation” I need for this?
"OFF SEASON"
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

I believe you need to find one with a built in gps. I researched the kindle fire but they didn't seem to be compatible. Good luck, Matt
let me know what you come up with if you would, would be great for icefishing
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

This one does the job for me, no need for the apple tax.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-W ... way&sr=8-4
Fishmore603
Species: Trout/salmon

Post by Fishmore603 »

dry net wrote:I believe you need to find one with a built in gps. I researched the kindle fire but they didn't seem to be compatible. Good luck, Matt
let me know what you come up with if you would, would be great for icefishing
Hey Matt I have navionics on my phone. It works great when not in the boat or looking at where to run to next. For 10$ can’t be beat. Great for ice fishing. Not sure if u have a smart phone but I know jimmy does.
dry net

Post by dry net »

I do have a smart phone and we do use the app on his. Was looking for a bigger screen, my eyes aren't getting any better with age. You should hook up with us this winter and give jigging a try. Did't take me long to get hooked.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I have a second generation ipad - an old one, it still works fine. The thing is you need one with cell capability, at least that used to be the case assume it still is. The GPS is built in to the cellular chip in the ipad. You don't need any cell service in order to use Navionics, but the capability at least needs to be there as it utilizes that cell chip for the GPS. I don't know about non-Apple tablets. I think Navionics is $50 in the app store?
________
Mike
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

As someone who works in IT, big +1 to that! Any cheap Android tablet will work so long as it has GPS. Too much $$$$$$ to buy a new iPad just for this. Samsung Galaxy tablets are nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flagship ... way&sr=8-4
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

the_doctor wrote:
As someone who works in IT, big +1 to that! Any cheap Android tablet will work so long as it has GPS. Too much $$$$$$ to buy a new iPad just for this. Samsung Galaxy tablets are nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flagship ... way&sr=8-4
Agree to this. If you're buying a tablet just for this, look at non-apple as they are cheaper and work just as well.
________
Mike
Fishmore603
Species: Trout/salmon

Post by Fishmore603 »

dry net wrote:I do have a smart phone and we do use the app on his. Was looking for a bigger screen, my eyes aren't getting any better with age. You should hook up with us this winter and give jigging a try. Did't take me long to get hooked.
I’d like that
dry net

Post by dry net »

Fishmore603 wrote:
dry net wrote:I do have a smart phone and we do use the app on his. Was looking for a bigger screen, my eyes aren't getting any better with age. You should hook up with us this winter and give jigging a try. Did't take me long to get hooked.
I’d like that
I'm sure we could work it out
Off season

Post by Off season »

How would I tell if it has GPS built in ? Is there a way to tell if its a used Tablet ?
"OFF SEASON"
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

At home I use this Navionics site to research and plan trips. However it does not give relative GPS position.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=fr#b ... 7BonGlmu~L
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Same here great for scouting off water.
I prefer lakevu on the water.
High Plains Drifter