Converse and areas around 7/14

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Converse and areas around 7/14

Post by keithm87 »

With a Northwest Wind forecast we hit the lake out of converse yesterday. It was myself, Vinny, and a buddy who had last trolled with me 4 years ago (the week before we caught our first fish trolling). He was a bit skeptical especially given that last time ended with 0 fish and him sitting at the dock watching the boat for 2 hours while we retrieved the truck from a different launch after engine issues.
We reached converse at 7 and headed out. It was dead calm, so I went north of sloop and set a program for lakers to try to get something in the boat. We ran 3 riggers 2 divers and a 2 color lead on a board for the stray walleye or salmon out of temp. Found 55 at 49ft. We worked north on the ridge trying to keep in 70fow. An hour in frustration was setting in and I started to switch some gear. We found a tangled mess with my most productive lures on the riggers that somehow crossed. A quick reset and we were fishing for real. It wasn’t long and we had the first bite. My buddy grabbed the rod and had the fish for a few seconds then it was off. A few minutes later another bite on the same rod, this time we land it a mid size laker.
We worked north on the VT side picking away slowly at lakers with no real size. We were happy that the forecast wind was not happening, and by 11 when it was supposed to be blowing hard the wind started to pick up. we decided that it would be advantageous to not push our luck. We pulled gear and headed across the lake to NY with the expectation that a NW Wind would be better on the west shore. And I wanted to try something new.
We got there and almost as soon as we came off plane the wind kicked up. We went from no waves to 1ft before we finished setting gear. We set all 6 rods with salmon gear with a set of vertical blades and trolled south toward Whalen at 2.2-2.4 mph. Theron was a little lower at 55ft. We picked away at some lakers as the waves built. The wind to our dismay was coming from the So the NY side was no better and put us further from the launch.
We worked south and as we passed the ferry the wind died a little we had a nice troll marking a lot of bait between 55-90fow but no takers other than some small lakers. We reached whalons and the wind picked up substantially. We went from a comfortable chop to borderline sketchy in about 5 minutes. Since we had a NE wind we pointed east toward converse angles a little north and crabbed along. We hit the deep water of the abyss with the boat bobbing like a tin can, and a rod fired. Vinny grabbed it while almost falling over but no one home. We decide not to reset that. I struggle to get the ball out of the water and fight a swinging 12lb wrecking ball into submission. Then another rigger fires. I grab, and have it for a second then it’s gone. Decide that to reset it. As I work to reset it the other rigger fires. I grab it and fish on. We get it close and it slows out, SALMON! Vinny grabs the net and we get it in the boat. Reset the rigger and another release bump n run. We get 3 more releases in the Abyss with one more landed laker before we reach the bay.
All in all it was a good day, 14 fish landed only one salmon, but we found them at the end and if it wasn’t 2+ft waves and a set in stone deadline for leaving we would have got some more of those deep water silvers.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Converse and areas around 7/14

Post by fishy1 »

great report keith. keep on chasing.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Thanks for you're exciting post Keith
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great read Keith. Glad you got slime in the boat.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)