Another fine day chasing cold water monsters...

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Another fine day chasing cold water monsters...

Post by Reelax »

At 6am Reelax launched Monday with only a maroon ford truck at the launch... Hmmm any day Crazy Ivan is out should be fun....

Light and variable and Dreamcatcher jumped aboard today to round out our 6 rod spread. We ran 3 riggers with fixed cheaters tight to blue and silver willow mini verticals. Cheaters were 4 feet over mains.

Then 2 slide divers set to 2.5 back 12 pulls and down 90 to 140.

Finished with a 5 color lead with a mini diver down the shoot...

This spread runs all day with no tangles, and no boards needed.

The hot spoons again today were Fativans and rainbow speedys.

The bite was slow where we left it 2 days ago, there were 4 boats in that spot. At 730am crazy Ivan radioed he was headed south. The temp profile had shifted on us and 55 deg was 61 ft down,!!!!!! No bait like before.... :o

Within 30 min Todd sends a pic of a big brown and we get the hint to move south... :?

We weren’t off plain before we had doubles with Jeff with a fat brown being the 1st one.. Thanks to Todd we were on a hot bit that lasted all day and included a nice steelhead and some seriously arobatic silvers... :cry:

We ended with Jeff getting all he needed for a grand slam himself before noon... short of a slimmer.. the hot bite was In 60fow :roll: so we weren’t leaving for slime.

thanks Todd fishing next you you and Molly with your dad aboard all day in that spot with NO other boats in site was a blast... :mrgreen:

Fish on!
Attachments
D435513C-EE95-41F2-AD13-091ABB45B6C1.jpeg
D435513C-EE95-41F2-AD13-091ABB45B6C1.jpeg (296.3 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
25AE10A5-07D4-4F3A-BC46-A22755B7D688.jpeg
25AE10A5-07D4-4F3A-BC46-A22755B7D688.jpeg (246.55 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
2C8CDC80-B550-4EF8-AE1D-064D16C4BDFA.jpeg
2C8CDC80-B550-4EF8-AE1D-064D16C4BDFA.jpeg (269.69 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
BE9F67D8-ADFF-48A3-803C-948D1E340DC0.jpeg
BE9F67D8-ADFF-48A3-803C-948D1E340DC0.jpeg (163.6 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
Matt B
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Another fine day chasing cold water monsters...

Post by tamiron »

Sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing and all the great details !!. Kudos to Crazy Ivan for helping to put you on fish. !!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report again and the bite was on. keep chasing guys. that is a nice healthy brown.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

What method are you using to fix your cheaters?
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

keithm87 wrote:What method are you using to fix your cheaters?
Currently using snaps with pinch pads built into them either red or black. Ramel at the old fishin hole in Morrisville had them. You can also use Alberta clippers, they work great, It they are added hardware near the bite, so I shy away from them.

Keeping both spoons In sight of each other In the spread more than doubles the hit rate of either spoon... think bait fish swimming together...

Good luck!
Matt B
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Keeping both spoons In sight of each other In the spread more than doubles the hit rate of either spoon... think bait fish swimming together..

And to think you weren’t paying attention in salmon class....
Todd
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Bye the way....I will say it over and over.... don’t worry about temp so much... bait with active fish trumps all!
Todd
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Reelax wrote:
Currently using snaps with pinch pads built into them either red or black. Ramel at the old fishin hole in Morrisville had them. You can also use Alberta clippers, they work great, It they are added hardware near the bite, so I shy away from them.

Keeping both spoons In sight of each other In the spread more than doubles the hit rate of either spoon... think bait fish swimming together...

Good luck!

We had bought some of those pinch pad things last year off a guy on LOU, tried them a couple times last year with no luck, but have been meaning to try them again, good to know Ramel has them, I will have to send Vinny or Jacob in to grab some as mine seem to have gone MIA, we were looking for them this weekend, and couldnt find them. do they actually slide when a fish hits?

Also do you run the verticals on each rigger? or just one?
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

keithm87 wrote:
Reelax wrote:

Good luck!

We had bought some of those pinch pad things last year off a guy on LOU, tried them a couple times last year with no luck, but have been meaning to try them again, good to know Ramel has them, I will have to send Vinny or Jacob in to grab some as mine seem to have gone MIA, we were looking for them this weekend, and couldnt find them. do they actually slide when a fish hits?

Also do you run the verticals on each rigger? or just one?
Keith; they slide down fine but they don’t last forever....

I run blades on all riggers except the one with the probe, I don’t want the turbulence from the blades to effect the probe readings...

When the fish are active the right sized blades ALWAYS helps. Color is almost irrelevant as it is a lateral line attraction we are looking for with them.... think underwater vibration... salmon can detect it for almost a mile...

I like to run enough blades to chop up the Alwive schools as we run thru for chum! :mrgreen:

The beat frequency on the Small 1.5” long blades we use is close to the size and frequency of our bait In Lake Champlain. In my opinion the big verticals blades are best for Lakers... and only cause excessive blow back of ball..

You can thank RAZ for this innovation... and Crazy Ivan for most of the rest. One reason I boat hop so much is to learn.... the other is the epic stories...

Thanks guys...
Matt B
saltr
Species: LLS

Post by saltr »

Crazy Ivan wrote:Bye the way....I will say it over and over.... don’t worry about temp so much... bait with active fish trumps all!
I have found that to be very true. Trouble is my Lowrance is a Gen 2 and shows so much stuff I have trouble deciphering it all at times!. Thanks Todd. Reel Time-Bill.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Where did you find the small blades? Only ones I’ve seen around are either 3.5 or 4.5 inch (have a bunch of those and NEVER catch anything with them)
EagleEd7
Species: Trout

Post by EagleEd7 »

Check w/Mike @ Crossroads in Chestertown, as he has a variety of those types of blades.

Eagle Ed
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Crazy Ivan wrote:Bye the way....I will say it over and over.... don’t worry about temp so much... bait with active fish trumps all!
Guess you proved that with the hot bite in 60fow and 62deg at depth... amazing...
Matt B
saltr
Species: LLS

Post by saltr »

keithm87 wrote:Where did you find the small blades? Only ones I’ve seen around are either 3.5 or 4.5 inch (have a bunch of those and NEVER catch anything with them)
If no luck finding blades locally, on the net go to Janns Netcraft and search for blades if you haven't already. I get mine through them.-Bill.
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

While we are chatting about blades!
Matt only had 2 riggers ( omg.... right) so he doesn’t run Blades on his probe. SO ONE SET OF Blades....... VERY important. Too much is not good. I also run one set but I have four riggers. The rigger next to the one with blades have spoons in the area also (within 4 feet of the other spoons and blades)...... the other two on the other side of the boat are in the same area but on the other side... scattered bait....
Just good intel
Todd
Todd