Fishhook Flea infestation

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Fishhook Flea infestation

Post by Reelax »

tamiron wrote:Off the wall !

Don't have a boat right now, so this is from the "ivory tower"! I don't care much for ivory tower ideas ... but here goes!

If the fish hook fleas, can't hold onto 30# plus mono or oval shaped Cortland Flea Flicker line, maybe their "arms" i.e. claws are too "short" to get a grip before washing away. What if someone were to soak a rag with WD-40. Spool out 100 or more feet of line with nothing attached. Reel the line back onto the spool, while running your line through the rag just before it enters the reel.

Now we have a slippery surface that won't damage the mono and the scent doesn't seem to bother the fish (some people claim to spray it on their lures) to mask human scent. Maybe the arms/claws of the fleas will find it too slippery to hold onto. If this works even partially, it may also make it easier to remove what fleas do collect. Thank RELAX for patiently answering all my questions.

HMMM.. This is innovative... I may just try it... If it works or not I will post results if I do try it..

Thanks for the idea Jim...
Matt B
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Absolutely post the results ... positive or negative
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

Do you think petroleum in the lake is a good idea?
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Wouldn't be as bad as my old 2-stroke.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

A little WD goes a long way, I will admit I have (and do sometimes) use it as an attractant a quick .25-.5 second spritz on a dodger, or on my rigger spool is actually quite effective for lakers. And the amount of petroleum is really negligible. I have a 3oz handy can in the boat, I bought it this spring after my old can ran out after 2.5 years of use fishing and de-squeaking assorted odds and ends between the boat, trailer, truck doors and ice shanty (it comes with me ice fishing), we are not talking large volumes by any means. Less than drips from a gas hose at a marina after a single fill up, spread over a couple years.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

I do know that wd40 is outlawed on the water on some of the great lakes... as in DO NOT have it aboard, you will get a fine...
(For just this reason)

Anytime you see a sheen on the water there is some level of contamination.

Good points all around.
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Is there a lubricant that is used for ice fishing? Would that work? How about fish oil capsules? Or Cod Liver Oil. I would imagine that the "oil" in one dead lake trout comes pretty close to the amount that would end up on your line.
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Post by Dead lake »

Come on outlawed WD40 must be do gooders on here, VT
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

OK. Maybe this:

TrickShot® is a high-performance penetrating lubricant that unlocks seized parts, prevents & breaks rust loose, fights corrosion, lubricates, protects, cleans, and is a "green" product. It is 100% biodegradable, non-toxic, non-flammable and safe for the environment.

I agree with the non-pollution goals, but finding an alternative shouldn't be that hard.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

I have a flea file made last year for Lake Ontario helps on removing from line Just a paint stick with Velcro hooks glued to side helps to remove fleas when bring in Lines but need two people as one to work fleas off with file and other reel
So many Lures So little Time
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Fished with a top shot of 30# big game this weekend. It helped some but you still have to be diligent about checking your line every 20 min or so. Was forced to cut and retie several times. I suppose if we caught more fish we would't have to check as often. Well thats the way it goes! Good luck, Matt
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Post by FishnChef »

Fleas were brutal yesterday out of willsboro
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Well I can report back wd40 made no difference... fleas still collected on small verticals lines and fish hooks yesterday... even when wd40 was used...
Matt B
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

dry net wrote:Fished with a top shot of 30# big game this weekend. It helped some but you still have to be diligent about checking your line every 20 min or so. Was forced to cut and retie several times. I suppose if we caught more fish we would't have to check as often. Well thats the way it goes! Good luck, Matt

Interesting I run 30 on 2 rods and 25 on another and didn’t have any fleas in them this weekend Sunday. My wire divers were a different story.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

dry net wrote:Fished with a top shot of 30# big game this weekend. It helped some but you still have to be diligent about checking your line every 20 min or so. Was forced to cut and retie several times. I suppose if we caught more fish we would't have to check as often. Well thats the way it goes! Good luck, Matt
reelax wrote:Well I can report back wd40 made no difference... fleas still collected on small verticals lines and fish hooks yesterday... even when wd40 was used...
Not real encouraging!! How far down the main line do the fleas go? To a vertical stop? Like the cheater snap, or the release? Now I'm thinking that something like "a slip bobber stop" type of knot made out of mono or heavier Dacron with the tag ends not trimmed, positioned further up the line, might "wick-off" some or most Fleas when they get to that point and not accumulate as much ( with a little spray there as well)??.

Sorry for the persistence ... but I am not fond of giving up.