Fishhook Flea infestation

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Re: Fishhook Flea infestation

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Just fullydry and clean before another body of water but just as important as boat is rods and riggers swivels and reels will have fleas on them the sad part is the lake stewards are interested in invasiveplants on the trailer and boat and really did not care about the Fleas as I asked them if they were aware that a major hatch was happening they never looked at rods or reels
So many Lures So little Time
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:Should be a special sticker for Champlain only boats
Yes. This is what I tell the lake stewards every time I see them but with a sticker they could save their breath.
dry net

Post by dry net »

BottomDollar wrote:
C-Hawk wrote:Should be a special sticker for Champlain only boats
Yes. This is what I tell the lake stewards every time I see them but with a sticker they could save their breath.
Spoke with a steward on Sunday, very friendly. Took all of two minutes. Joked back and forth about which lake was worse, Champ or Ontario. Good luck, Matt
Nysrx01
Species: Trout

Post by Nysrx01 »

Went fishing at Loon Lake NY. The lake steward there was checking my fishing poles for fleas. He told me they found cases of the fleas in Indian lake last year so they are on the look out. But like he stated he is just checking at the launch and has no control over shore fisherman that may be fishing from lake to lake. So the responsibility of not spreading these fleas does lie greatly on each us to educate people about the spread of invasive species from lake to lake. Not all Lakes have lake stewards.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

As a frequent visitor to Lake Champlain, I make sure to wash out my live wells, my bilge pump area and rinse out my outboard motor cooling system, these and the exterior of my boat. Rods, reals and lines always get dried out. It is important we share our good habits.
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

dry net wrote:Spoke with a steward on Sunday, very friendly. Took all of two minutes. Joked back and forth about which lake was worse, Champ or Ontario. Good luck, Matt
I worded that poorly; I take no issue with them, they're all very friendly, but if they could skip Champlain-only boats they'd have more time to focus on their mission. Probably not feasible though because it would require enforcement at ramps on other lakes.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Update:

Out today out of Converse and the fleas were even worse. Big long globs on my buddies 12 lb test line just after 15 minutes. Lite Bites bad too. My two 30 lb test rods a trace amount on each after an hour.
Fishmore603
Species: Trout/salmon

Post by Fishmore603 »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Update:

Out today out of Converse and the fleas were even worse. Big long globs on my buddies 12 lb test line just after 15 minutes. Lite Bites bad too. My two 30 lb test rods a trace amount on each after an hour.
That’s not a good sign. Headed out of converse in the morning.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

How far north are folks finding them? I fished Converse wed.. They were a pain but it was doable
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I've seen then up to Isle Lamothe
Matt B
Fishmore603
Species: Trout/salmon

Post by Fishmore603 »

Fished out of converse today. Fleas were manageable south on the vt side to and around kingsland bay. But from split rocks north on that side much worse.
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

There are an other way for the invasives to spread, birds! Duck and gooses visit many water bodies and there s notting we can do about it.
A biologist told me it's birds who bring fishs eggs in their feathers when I asked him how fishs and weeds arrive in artificial ponds.
saltr
Species: LLS

Post by saltr »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Update:

Fished out of Westport north. Everything vertical had loads of fleas. Used 27lb leadcore and was much more manageable!
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Uggh. I picked up some gobs by Redrocks yesterday. And today I'm headed to the NEK for work for a couple days, and fishing while I'm there. I guess I'll take my kayak and gear to a car wash. :(

Mostly I'm worried about my reels/braid. I wish I knew of a good way to sanitize them without damaging them. I don't want to wash out the lubricant.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

I'm curious to know if anyone on here uses the bottom bouncers weights on mono with the stickbait or spoon on a long leader instead of the downriggers or lead core line when the fleas are as bad as they are now.
Perhaps a heavier than normal one like they use in the great lakes, upwards of 6oz.
The walleye guys on the GL's use these, but wondering if can be adapted to LC.
I'm thinking of giving it a try with 20# trilene...thoughts?