Northwest Bay Silver

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Northwest Bay Silver

Post by Bearcat »

Beautiful day today. Steady pick of silvers for a good mid day bite. Everything except sticks took hits, riggers, cheaters, leadcore, mini dipseys, all with spoons, wonderbread speedy was hottest, followed by warrior salmon candy, and Crazy Ivan red canoe. Went 5 for 8, Fish ranged from 16” to 20”. All were healthy and puking 3” alewives, one scar, one lamprey and 2 clipped fins. Riggers mostly set at 35 to 40’ (ignored the deep bait and marks), 4 colors on lead. Lost two spoons on the leadcore. Tail wrapped a good one on the dipsey which crossed the whole spread and also cost me two colors of lead - well worth it, good to be back out.
96DC868E-201B-485D-B4B1-A21B511FD50B.jpeg
96DC868E-201B-485D-B4B1-A21B511FD50B.jpeg (194.34 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Northwest Bay Silver

Post by BottomDollar »

Nice Paul! Great day to be out.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

you had a great day and had fun. saw you out there when i went by to my fishing spot. ill try to stop next time to meet. keep on chasing paul.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Sounds like a great day. I need to work on my leadcore program, I can’t seem to buy a salmon on it.
Todd
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice job, bearcat! That's a beautiful salmon. Just curious, how'd you lose the spoons on leadcore? I just started using it this year and have lost fish, but not spoons ... yet.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I have hung bottom a bunch of times on lead cores, they go deceptively deep on corners! Also the lack of stretch in the lead and flourocarbon make it easier to break a fish off if drag isn't set just right.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Crayfish wrote:Nice job, bearcat! That's a beautiful salmon. Just curious, how'd you lose the spoons on leadcore? I just started using it this year and have lost fish, but not spoons ... yet.
As Keith stated, low stretch means lost fish with aggressive hook sets when using 6 or 8 lb flouro leaders. I use 27 lb for the higher sink factor and it can be tough to feel what's happening at the other end with fish under 4 or 5 lbs. It works pretty well but I don't mess with it much after the water warms up because of the fleas, at that point I run the dipseys on my side lines. And I don't get into segmented lead cores much, I just run enough colors to get where I need to, estimating 5' per.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Thanks for the info. I'm using Tuffline Microlead and it sinks exactly 5' per color at 2.5mph. I let out 5 colors with a honeybee on the end, let it run for a little while and then clipped on my Fishhawk TD. Came back right at 25'. We caught over half of our browns on these leadcore setups on Lake O so I know it works. I had a 50' 20# flouro leader for out there, but I might switch that up to something like 12-15# mono for fishing here to allow for a little more stretch. I normally run a short leader of lighter test line between the long leader and the lure (something in the 8-10# range, typically), as well.