Westport 6/9

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Westport 6/9

Post by FishnChef »

Ended up going out of Westport for the first time after arriving at willsboro to find that no docs were in though it looked like they were in the process of getting ready to put them in. So anyways decided to head south rather than North and ended up at Westport launching at 11 a.m. started marking good right off the bat as soon as I hit 50 feet so decided to fish right in Northwest Bay there. 1 rigger set at 50 with a spoon and Christmas tree, probe rigger running 41ft down in a pretty steady 53° of water with a Sutton 44, suffix advanced leadcore out three colors most of the day running a blue and white honey bee, and size 0 Dipsy about 120 back with another Sutton. First pass on an East troll with 2.2 speed at the ball ledcor fires and it's a nice rainbow that was airborne before I even got to the rod. Mustve jumped 15 times. Landed that which is my personal best rainbow out of Champlain 26 in didn't weigh it but somewhere in the neighborhood of five lb. That was the only fish on the core all day. Then quiet for awhile tried trolling in all directions and the salmon bite turned on particularly on the probe rigger parked at 40-ish over 100fow. Landed 1-22 in, lost another slightly bigger one at the boat, lost another one when it jumped and had a few riggers fire with no one home. Then the dipsy bite turned on on the Lakers including one roughly 12#er. All in all roughly 7 for 12 with most fish coming off bait as there were some pretty large schools of alewives and smelt. Best screens were 70 to 120 feet, deeper than that looked pretty good too as far as schools of bait are concerned but I didn't spend much time out there. Wishing I would have ran more higher up in the water column as the rigger at 50 only took one shot with no one home no matter what I put on it even though I would say the highest concentration of bait and marks were at 60.
Attachments
20190610_112134.jpg
20190610_112134.jpg (125.7 KiB) Viewed 713 times
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Westport 6/9

Post by fishy1 »

wow another steelhead caught there on fire this spring. i like norhtwest bay myself always did well there when i trolled wish i had a little shore access there. hope they all get the docks in for the lci this weekend
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Nice outing!
Beautiful fish!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
JabberJaws
Species: all