Wild Tale-- Sheepshead on Rippin Rap in the Outer Bay!!!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Wild Tale-- Sheepshead on Rippin Rap in the Outer Bay!!!

Post by the_doctor »

Hit Outer Mallet's bay Saturday morning where I've been finding some decent smallmouth and pike.
The first thing I noticed was how clear the water was! I had a clear view to the bottom in 10 feet of water, where only days before it was very murky. I had a friend along who hasn't been fishing in years and he was throwing a Rippin' Rap. He was still getting used to the heavy lure and thus was dragging a lot of junk off the bottom at first, including bringing in a few Zebra mussels tangled in the weeds. Friday night we had big whitecap breakers going so I wonder if the waves brought some mussels in?
The day was a little slow but my friend brought in a nice smallmouth and I got a big ol' perch on a Shad Rap. We're beginning to head in for the day when my friend says he has a bite. I can tell it's a big one so I tell him not to horse it and and to use the drag if needed.
My jaw dropped when he reeled in a big ugly sheepshead (drum)! For the location and the lure he was using, I couldn't have been more surprised to see Champ himself on the line! The only thing I can think of is that the sheepshead was munching on the washed-in mussels when either he the lure got him right in the mouth, or it bumped into him and pissed him off enough to strike. It doesn't seem it in the pic, but yes, it was hooked in the mouth (in pic lure is stuck on the net not the fish).
This is why I love fishing this lake. You just never know what's going to be on the end of that line!
sheepshead05182019.jpg
sheepshead05182019.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Butcher
Species: cold water

Re: Wild Tale-- Sheepshead on Rippin Rap in the Outer Bay!!!

Post by Butcher »

Wow! Pig! Do you have any stats? weight? length?

I have never caught one of those
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Now there is a story.... wow you are... THE doctor!!!

Thanks for one of the best stories I have read this year.... please keep posting...

That thing looked huge!!! like Butcher said.... do you have any stats???
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

sheephead are mostly a bottom feeder and feed on zebra mussels alot . they are also have a good fight ot them there are 20 to 30 lbers out there also. 20 lb sheephead win the derbies every year.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Sorry guys, no measurements. That's one thing I noticed was how darn HARD his mouth was. I was yanking on that lure for a good minute to get him unhooked and by the time that was done me and the fish both were ready for him to go back in the water. I looked just now and it's only 26" for a Master Angler sheepshead, so I wish I took a measurement...would have been real close to the mark. I'm happy just with a good story though.