Spring Fishing - Temp & Water levels

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Spring Fishing - Temp & Water levels

Post by DreamWeaver »

As this is now my third year getting the boat out late, due to wet terrain, I spend time reading forum and watch the water levels and temperature levels of the lake.
https://www.weather.gov/btv/60daytemp

My preliminary research seems to indicate that in April when there is a 5-8 day stability in water surface temperatures with a slow rise of water level, the bite is much better. This year that bite was between April 22 to April 29. Have not verified the winds.

Once the snow melts and rain begin to pour into the lake and increase the rate of rising water level, and temperature becomes erratic, the bite slows down. This year post April 30 to May 15.
The lack of fishermen venturing the water could be an added part of the equation.

Any comments and/or experience to add ??
TUnamas

Re: Spring Fishing - Temp & Water levels

Post by TUnamas »

This Spring is cold. Usual spring haunts aren't producing as they have in the past, at least not yet. The winds have been erratic. As conditions have set up, a North wind has re-stirred things up. I'm hoping it's just late. DYP was heavily South End with the weighed fish, and they weren't giants. I'm told (but haven't fished it) that North has been good for numbers, but lacking size. One of these days I hope it breaks open!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Size aside, this spring has in limited trips been my most successful. That may be due to me getting the hang of it, but I’ve boated more salmon this spring than I did the in the last 3 springs combined (not a huge number, but have only had 1 skunk in 5 trips and that was the first trip)
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

Glad to read their is some consistent success, size aside. Last year the smaller fish seem to be hiding, to the point that many of us believed the cormorants to be majorly responsible.

For myself hoping to get on the water next Friday, mother nature permitting.
Bent rods and tight lines to all.