5/8 Lamoille River Walleye Trip

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

5/8 Lamoille River Walleye Trip

Post by keithm87 »

All winter Vinny and I had talked about doing a weekday Walleye trip during opening week. Due to work schedules and boat trailer issues, we almost didnt get to go, but the stars aligned yesterday and we hit the water. We arrived at 6:45 to the launch and put the boat in the water. Chatted with a fella who said he had gotten one nice one already. I set some ground rules: No walleye over 25 inches can be kept, odds were that would not come into play, so vinny agreed. Let the big ones go they are the productive spawners.
We had some intel on a spot to try, so we set out 4 crank baits and started upriver toward the spot. It wasnt long and we landed our first fish, a smallie about 18 inches. Kept upriver and another smallie. We reached the spot that we were going, and switched to drift jigging. This was my first attempt at it, and it took a while to figure out how to control the boat with a 15MPH wind blowing across and the current, but with the trusty MK we got it figured out. We jigged down river for a while, and had a hit, another smallie, then a white perch, then another smallie. We trolled back upriver to drift again, and had a hit. 100Ft back a giant Smallie went skyward. After a short tussle I landed my PB smallie, a 20.5 incher that was FAT. Sadly it had inhaled a crank bait and had all 6 hook points buried almost into its stomach. It was bleeding profusely and due to state law we had to let it go to become food for the circling turkey vultures.
With no walleyes for our 5 hours of fishing we decided to try a different area. We trolled down the river, this time using trolling bags to slow our speed. and then set up to jig just below the bridge in the deep hole. We found more bass and whites there, and decided that we would switch tactics and go out to chase fish in Mallets. We decided to troll out of the river, and set up with 4 crank baits again. We got past the boat launch and were chatting with one of Vinny's buddies who was also not having any luck, when our line off the back fired. Vinny was up and grabbed the rod FISH ON! It was immediately acting different. Instead of acrobatics it was staying down. Vinny fought the fish and got it to the boat, and we saw it with a broadside flash, a big Walleye. He stayed calm, and the fish dug down, I grabbed the net and stuck it 2ft under the water and made a scoop. A big spawned out 27 inch walleye in the net. Estimated it to be close to 8lb.
We had a quick discussion about whether we would break the days ground rules (always second guess when you get a really nice fish) and Vinny made the call, a couple quick pictures and the girl swam away.
We kept trolling toward the lake, and reached the mouth of the river and had another strike. This time I was up, I grabbed the rod, it felt heavy with no fight just dead weight like a branch or something. I reeled it toward the boat and 15 ft back I felt the first life, a strong headshake. Vinny grabbed the net and I got it near the boat, it made a final broadside headshake and dug for bottom and popped the hook. In its second of broadside we saw what Vinny is sure was another big walleye, but what I am telling myself was just a typical smallie to reduce my sadness of missing it.
We kept at it for a couple more hours and landed some more nice smallies but that was our only Eye, but it was worth it.
I will post pics in a little while.
Attachments
96B93DF7-0A7F-461E-B7CE-4EEDE1D2B100.jpeg
96B93DF7-0A7F-461E-B7CE-4EEDE1D2B100.jpeg (172.96 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
E46BCB71-05AA-4603-AE86-51B3C425BC1A.jpeg
E46BCB71-05AA-4603-AE86-51B3C425BC1A.jpeg (265.05 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: 5/8 Lamoille River Walleye Trip

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice post Keith. Congrats on your big walleye and fat PS smallie.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report keith smallies were on fire and that is one nice eye. your decision to release it was a good call dont know if i could have done that myself ist eye of spring.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

It’s really easy for me to let them go since I don’t eat fish. But Walleye are my buddies favorite so it was tough for him.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Nice eye!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report Keith!!
Matt B
Strange 'Eyes
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Strange 'Eyes »

Nice report Keith! Glad someone is willing to post about walleyes on here! Maybe this will be the start
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Nice catch! I pick up quite a few on jointed J9 rapalas, black and white.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

The one we got was on a scatter rap 4 3/8 in fire tiger, bluebird skies and 5 feet of visibility in the water...
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Fantastic Keith! Glad you got into them
That’s a nice eye!
It’s hard letting such a nice fish go
But it’s what we should always do, my hats off to ya!