A start to the season

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
goldeneye13
Species: Cold water

A start to the season

Post by goldeneye13 »

Headed out of the winooski around 7:00 yesterday. Cold and windy. :? Decided to cross to the mouth of the Ausable and wickam marsh. Fast start by 9:30 we lost one lake trout behind the boat and boated one. Trolled the area until 12:30. At that point the wind died down so we cross and started trolling around Stave island. Got set up and another lake trout in the boat. Trolled the area until 17:00 finished the day at 3 for 6. It was a busy afternoon. Stickbait rainbow and brown trout color where key to succes on leadcore (one color) on the board.

Warmest water the mouth of the winooski with 37 degrees .
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: A start to the season

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report... was there any logs or debris in the lake?
Matt B
goldeneye13
Species: Cold water

Post by goldeneye13 »

Actually not that much. Some at the mouth of the winooski but as you got out is wasn't to bad.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I agree, the lake was surprisingly clean. The only junk we found was at the South Hero end of the Mallett's Bay fill (which makes sense with the south winds all week). We went 1 for 5, with 1 laker lost at the back of the boat and something big that wouldn't budge and eventually pulled the hook. It was a good shake-down cruise. Motors both ran great and the new throttle control I put in last week worked perfectly = successful trip!
Bomber
Species: trout

Post by Bomber »

What did you install for throttle control. My Troll Master Pro died.
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Post by FishnChef »

Love my itroll fwiw
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

I put a Controllking on my 7.5hp Honda. So far I love it! It's a very simple system so seems like there would be less to go wrong.
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Post by kman05446 »

I put the controlking on my 9.9 Yamaha last season. Love it! Makes fishing a whole lot more enjoyable. Simple to install.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Crayfish wrote:I put a Controllking on my 7.5hp Honda. So far I love it! It's a very simple system so seems like there would be less to go wrong.
Another Honda 7.5 owner here. These things just won't die. Mine's an '81 model with a trollmaster throttle control.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Mine's a red, white and blue 1984. Starts on the 2nd pull nearly every time! The Controllking install was easy and it seems work great. The only issue I had was that the controller motor was hitting the cowling. I had to put some extra bends in the bracket to get it to clear. Otherwise, I think it took as long to run the wires as it did to install it!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Crayfish wrote:I agree, the lake was surprisingly clean. The only junk we found was at the South Hero end of the Mallett's Bay fill (which makes sense with the south winds all week). We went 1 for 5, with 1 laker lost at the back of the boat and something big that wouldn't budge and eventually pulled the hook. It was a good shake-down cruise. Motors both ran great and the new throttle control I put in last week worked perfectly = successful trip!

Thanks for the info Shawn. We will be launching in the morning as I can’t wait to land our 1st fish.. glad to hear the troll contoll is working good it will pay you dividends in fish!!!

Later....... fish on
Matt B
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Good luck, Matt! I'm sure we'll see you on the water soon.