launch site updates

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

launch site updates

Post by flyguy »

Hi Guys, As many of you know, I have spend most of this winter fishing in Belize. Had great times with snook, tarpon, and bonefish. Had some frustrating times with permit, boating only two and breaking off several. Anyway, I'm back home now and looking sadly at the ice still in in the north. :cry: Sigh. Just want to say that I intend to continue the "spring launch watch" and will post updates as they are applicable in terms of open water at launches in the islands and nearby. It would be helpful to all if any of you a little farther south could do the same. I am sure that we are all just as eager to get back on the water. Time to finish up delayed projects (changing out line, leaders, charging batteries, etc.), as the ice is starting to grumble loudly around here. Won't be long now!
digitroll (ron)

Re: launch site updates

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Welcome back Bryan! March has been a very cold month this year! The consensus from a key person is hmmm 7-10 more days for Converse and for Bulwagga and the Sea possibly April 15th. Remember those early first launches can be challenging with ice getting blown around everywhere and even where you launched when you return after fishing. Just looking at historical data when we had back to back severe winters 5 years ago and those first launches were very late.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Took a look at Converse from the launch area on 3/27. Ice as far as I could see from the launch.

I will swing by this weekend - I'm in slowdown mode due to some plantar faschiitis that I am trying to kick. I'll also try to get a broader view of the entire bay.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

There is a good chance with the wind and warm the next 2 days that the winooski (colchester point) launch will be open this weekend, but as Digitroll stated the issue then becomes the giant 2+ mile sheets of ice that are floating around, wouldnt want to get out there and then have the wind shift and all the sudden not be able to get back. but the wind is ripping on the lake right now, so we should see a lot of new open water in the next couple days, and those big sheets should start to break up.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It's nice to get all excited about launching first and getting a float in...but it takes a bit for the ice to get pushed around and disappear. Been there, done that. I will wait 4-5 days after the launch opens for things to settle out. Remember the water is 33F and it's not like the fish will be jumping in the boat.

Those projections for 7-10 days for Converse and Bulwagga / Sea April 15th are based on letting things settle out with the floating ice. These are salmon area projections. Winooski is a LT magnet and even that has to warm a bit to get bait around there and active fish. Same scenario.

Food for thought! I will defer jumping the gun!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

tmcaul wrote: I will swing by this weekend - I'm in slowdown mode due to some plantar fasciitis that I am trying to kick. I'll also try to get a broader view of the entire bay.
For most folks it seems planter fasciitis takes about 2 years to recover from. I understand there is very little blood flow in that area so healing is very slow. I started with lots of pain in May 2017 and feel I am very near fully healed. I went to the doctor, read books, read all I could find on line, and did my best to beat it. I found I got the best comfort from insoles by Protalus...they are kind of expensive at somewhere around 80 bucks a pair: https: https://www.protalus.com. I've been thru 5 or 6 pairs since discovering them. Another comfortable item is Crocks flip-flops..they have amazingly comfortable soles with great arch support which is what is needed to heal. I read/learned to NEVER go barefoot while trying to recover as this causes the facia to "flatten" out, without needed support, compromising any healing that has already taken place. I wear my crocks all summer and winter indoors, always leaving them at my bedside, even for a quick trip to to the pisser in the night. I also read/learned that shoes are worn out and bad for your feet, long before they "look" worn out. I've been replacing my shoes about every 3 months, always choosing a pair with good memory foam insoles.
Hope this helps ya brother...it's a tough run! Get some protalus insoles and if you want to purchase just one pair, put them in whatever shoes you want to wear...I have them in several pairs of shoes and in my muck boots! Replace them them when you feel they too are wearing out.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

My son checked the mouth of the Winooski yesterday. Said the river is open, but the launch itself is still frozen in. Open water extends into the lake some, but then there was solid ice out to about the drop-off /Colchester Point (~1mile of ice?). Maybe in another week or two we'll be able to launch there.

Also, people are still driving on Keeler's Bay at Lavigne Road, so the inland sea is going to be a while yet!
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Thanks for the update Crayfish. I think we all agree that open water is still a ways off, but updates are great for planning purposes. Also - it gets the interest level up. Long winter this year...
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Long Wintner for who? :D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Champlain bridge is open... the trolling patterns will show what was open Saturday and Sunday... we broken the ice from shore Friday night and launched Saturday am...and again Sunday.

Here is a video of what it took to clear the launch..

https://youtu.be/Kp0PKQnNR-o

Fish on!
Attachments
E68BC1DC-84FC-400D-96A8-D896E25B35DE.png
E68BC1DC-84FC-400D-96A8-D896E25B35DE.png (645.67 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
23319A36-BEA9-4586-BA38-6839951A7675.png
23319A36-BEA9-4586-BA38-6839951A7675.png (594.11 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

If you look at the 2 v patterns at the north west of the 2nd day troll you will see the spot where this video was shot...

https://youtu.be/JvBo_yYZEsA
Matt B
Perch bait
Species: Everything!

Post by Perch bait »

Other than a little bit of ice in the launch that's still hanging on, the Winooski is good to go. A bit of ice to the south up against the shore and to the north around Delta Park heading towards the beach on Colchester Point off of Buckingham Drive. It's high, muddy and full of logs and debris, but launchable. Tight Lines, PB.

keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

latest sat photos look like converse may have opened up. Anyone on that side of the state know if that is accurate? Also looks like most of shelburne shoal and BTV waterfront may have opened.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Looking good