A Great New Year Start On Surprise

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

A Great New Year Start On Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Today I fished with Carl Petri & Tom Booska out of Converse as The Arnold Hill needs more work than old guys wanted . We assembled at 9:30 when the air warmed up 5 trailers already out. Met Sea Ark launching ahead of us. We launched and started a old school run from the ramp setting as we trolled out. A spread of rigger, long line bead chain and bead chain on Offshore clip on side planers. Rainbow speedy shiners, Blue Silver Speedy's Ivan Purple brown trout and Fat buzzy in the mix. The Graph/GPS wouldn't light ....maybe the cold ......Nope, somehow the power cord had been dislodged loose, Carl called it and I don't know how but hooked back up and we have Joy.

Trolled out past Cedar, Garden and down headed south along Thompson. Lots of trash wood and little bait or fish showing. North end of Thompson we get bait and fish and pick a 18 inch salmon 45 down on a rainbow speedy for the first fish of 2019 on Surprise.

Yacked with Instigator- Reggie and Swilly- Will and good to Greet them into the New Year and Season.

We trolled into a large debris field and managed to hook up and Tom boated a 8ft. three point branch off a side planer with no loss of lure.

Headed west from the South Thompson reef to the Unicorn at Grogg set the riggers down to 60 where we were marking bait and fish. As we approached the clouds parted and the sun came out. We did a lure change taking off the purple black and put some sparkly stuff back down. A rainbow sparkle Hi/Tek and a Silver Flo Green/Pink Mooselook.

Lures of the day

The bay south of Grogg has been known to hold bait and fish and as we entered 2 nice marks at 20 showed above bait . The Down rigger went off and the rod slammed down almost to the water. The rod picked up had no pull ....so slider take.....wait,holy shit a jump and no feel, wait finally feel the fish
and it is on . A classic battle with seven or eight jumps. Finally a clean net at the back of the boat.
Hi fives and congrats all around for the success of this team and a great start to the New Year.

Well it was time for the Lunch Celebration ....Today was Smoked Brown Trout, Smoked Salmon, some Smoked Brisket and a Beef Mushroom Barley Turkey Meatball soup and some Great Grapes.

We were off at 2 and Met Reggie Instigator who took our Team Pictures.

On my boat scale the fish was 26 inches and weighed 7.67 lbs enough to place second in the All Season Basin Derby knocking out the 7.66 lb place holder. At Field Sports in Middlebury after a lot of bleed out we weighed in at 7.5 lbs to bring in third place Knocking out 7.18 lb
Great Start to the Year and hope for a bigger fish to top this one before the All Season Basin Close.

The fish when cleaned and filleted to share had nothing in it as I suspected.

Couldn't HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THE TEAM & THANKS TO CARL & TOM FOR SHARING THE DAY

Randy
Fish On!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: A Great New Year Start On Surprise

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Congrats Randy that is hell of fish!
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

great job randy and crew,what a way to start off the new year!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

awsome randy nice fish hope the 3rd place fish holds for you.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nicest fish landed the last 4 months on Champlain Randy! Not an easy task getting into the top 3 salmon for the year in the Basin! Congratulations!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Nice..real nice! Congratulations Randy and crew!
Happy 2019!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

WTG Randy and crew, thats how you start off the new year fishing....
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great fish and a wonderful story to read. Really enjoyed the epic time you must have had in the write up. Thanks for all the info and the look at your hardware... the rainbow speedy is look in a little ratty :mrgreen:

Can’t wait to get back out...
Matt B
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

Really good to break in the new year for you boys. Grog harbor south has been my main run. We hooked into a 8-10 pound salmon in the exact spot. Went airborne on us and spit the hook. I'm still nauseous at the thought of it. Seems you found them as well. Superb boys. Heres to a new and exciting year.
Will nolan "swilly"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great read Randy. Way to start the new year.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Congratulations Randy, great fish and report. The Rainbow Speedy, hmmm, I bet I've got a few in my box. Best pattern overall last 5 years, right Harry?
FATHEAD

Post by FATHEAD »

Way to go Randy. You put your time in you deserve a big one happy for you. Here’s to many more big ones. Fish On !!!!
FATHEAD

Post by FATHEAD »

Seabill says congratulations!!!