Westport - 12/13

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Westport - 12/13

Post by ChessieMan »

Spent a lot of time washing lures today with my pal Scott. We stopped at PH right off, lots of ice, temp 1F, - someone, duck hunter? - had busted their way east through 3/4" or better of ice - looking north all you could see was more ice and there was a nasty nippy little south wind too boot!- OK Scott, let's go see what Westport has to offer. Going north, we could see the ice stopped just below Beaver Brook - so OK, we can head south from Westport. Launch was ice free and there was no wind.

Slowly motored south while setting up the riggers and diver rods - as soon as we cleared the south point, wind and waves smacked us in the kisser and it got cold! Lots of smoke coming off the water too - trolled all the way to Fishville and this is all I saw

In fact, that's the way that rod looked all day!

We spent 3 hours doing "loop-de-loops", "cloverleafs", X-crosses- "rockin & rollin", trying to avoid frostbite and all we accounted for was 3 lake trout - they were very nice and fat 24", 26" and 29" - but that was it - all taken on a silver/blue Speedy. Not a sniff on the rainbow,purple/black or blue/white.

Around 11:30 the wind started to kick-up and the sky started turning gray - "Scott, let's pick-up and head back to Westport, we can fish in the lee of Barber's.

No sooner had we rounded the point than the wind went away and it got calm- Ahhh, comfort. I put the 1st rigger down - Rainbow Speedy - went to set the 2nd and BAM! - Fish On! - and a salmon clears the water 40' back - Yeehaw! Scott grabs the rod and masterfully coaxes the fish to the net.

A nice little chunker that went right in the box - I look like a Genius - but that didn't last long - in fact that was the only fish 'til we called it quits at 1:15 - fingers, toeses and noses numb.

I know it's supposed to warm up and I'm sure I'll get the itch - but right now, I'm really happy to be sitting in front of the fire.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Westport - 12/13

Post by fishy1 »

great report again chessieman that was cold. brrrrrrrrrrrr. i know you will be back you a frostbiter.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Man...you guys are much tougher than me!.Thanks for the look and fun report!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

CCCCOLD! & Open boat.

Lucky the White Coats didn't meet you two at the ramp.
Fish On!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Making me feel like a wuss....You guys are all truly impressive!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Lakers were sure active for us on Sat at Fishville. Sounds like the silver has begun moving north... thanks for the report... did we see you,out sat?
Matt B