The fun of it all

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

The fun of it all

Post by Crazy Ivan »

I got an invite aboard Fat Head on Tuesday and I rarely turn down a chance to fish with Jeremy. Plenty of laughs right out of the gate as we launched at Arnold’s bay..... steep hill no ramp and a narrow turn around..... the motor didn’t want to start 6 degrees out and then...... the boat was frozen to the trailer! After trying the reverse thrusters for ten minutes, still nothing..... Jeremy swears he used the pan spray..... I of course suggested the buttery kind in the future. We pulled the boat and used the shake the shit out of it method and it came free...
We are off. A slow ride to our destination.... we go slow so the riggers and gear doesn’t get frozen with ice... we were semi successful with only minor freezing of rods and riggers..... if you have not done this type of fishing you must know there is a hard firm rule.... NO MATTER WHAT IS GOING ON! RIGGERS UP THEN DOWN. Think about that! Cables freeze and you will spool a rigger in seconds if you don’t come up first before you go down! Everything takes time in these conditions, cheaters wait while you warm your hand and rods go unset.... your hands are so cold they ache... big winds and waves make even more special..
Action was slow, foggy, bitter cold and windy.
First fish was on 15 minutes in...on 4 colors of lead! By the time we got the lead on the reel there was so much ice build up the reel was full..... hmmmmmmm somwe tried to hand over hand it. Useing the rod to play the fish while I acted as the reel.... lost that one but we had plenty of laughts. A nice brown a few salmon and a monster laker that was all of 12lbs but a Slow steady pick from there...and now for the real story.
At about 1030 a rod fires and I grab it, the weight of it is nice and I call “laker” but the rigger is down 47’ and the line is rising fast and to the other side of or spread.... I change my mind and say big salmon.... then it comes out of the water, 100’ behind then boat. It’s a monster..... I relay this in a calm manner to Jeremy and the net guy agrees! Then it come out again.... holy crap! It just got bigger. Then again out of the water. Just as I am saying the big ones come right to the boat it does just that..... in just a few minute it’s right behind 10’ and it’s big real big the biggest I have ever seen on lake Champlain. Then it’s right behind us 2’, I call for the net but sun and reflection is an issue...
It makes a hard run and jumps... gone!!
That’s why I fish. Biggest salmon I have ever seen in the nastiest conditions you could imagine! A great day one the water!
Todd
Crazy Ivan

Re: The fun of it all

Post by Crazy Ivan »

By the way, Pete ask if I was shaking because I was cold or excited... Jeremy gave me a hug and said I would be ok... I smiled the rest of the day and can’t wait to get back out.
Todd
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Beautiful...and fun to read. That salmon will be bigger next time...and smarter. Funner. Maybe warmer?
They're back.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow todd the biggest you ever seen on champlain. could it have been a record champlain salmon? when i heard about it the ist thing came to my mind was todd using barbless hooks again. were you? you will get another chance at him maybe even bigger they are there. glad you guys had fun but it was brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

WOW OK!

Thanks to the Lamprey Program and Alewives a 15 lb salmon is a more likely creature. World Class & close to home for a lot of us. Hope you Shake a bit every time you relive it!

Your description of Frostbiting is Classic!

Frostbiting is hard to describe to anyone not knowing the feeling it brings. The lake the wildlife and weather changing by the minute sometimes shows that we are just a smallest part of life brings to me satisfaction that we dont't get working and living inside......although it can be a lot more comfortable.

Sharing it with Friends makes it Special.
Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great read Todd.
Seating in my warm home, I can imaging the freezing cold and the adrenaline you're experiencing on the boat.
Thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Todd- I know you like fishing in the snotty stuff. I recall losing a really big fish a few years ago on the wall off Kingsland when we were the only two boats taking turns scraping paint on the North wind's swell which had the bait balled up and the fish were tight. My language at loss was salty but I had to get Serenity safely away from the rocks. Those losses keep us coming back! I've been chasing MOE for years, and it sounds like she is still out there! Next time....
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice read Todd...We passed on today's icebox am weather. You will get another crack at a fish like that!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Todd... great read.... man that sounds like a pig... what a ride you had for a few min... imagine if you have hit record on the iPads! I’ll be down there launching from the same ol nail biter hoping for soft water Saturday...... with a veteran salmon team of Fishdawg and DA.I got one more call to make on a long shot 4th, but we will be launching by 7 either way.. Hope to Tangle with something bigger than 20” but who knows, it’s all fun!

Keep the ice off the lake! We have just begun! Here’s to fishing thru the spring if we can...

Fish on!!
Matt B
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

TUnamas wrote:Todd- I know you like fishing in the snotty stuff. I recall losing a really big fish a few years ago on the wall off Kingsland when we were the only two boats taking turns scraping paint on the North wind's swell which had the bait balled up and the fish were tight. My language at loss was salty but I had to get Serenity safely away from the rocks. Those losses keep us coming back! I've been chasing MOE for years, and it sounds like she is still out there! Next time....
Scott,
I remember that day well... the crew still talks about it. I do believe Pat put a 6 plus’s in the boat and our guys bagged a 7 plus. Big waves big fish!
Todd
FATHEAD
Species: salmon

Post by FATHEAD »

Great day indeed !!! Thanks for going Todd and Pete. I drove pretty much the whole morning so I stayed nice and warm coming out on occasion to see a brown or two as well as the salmon. All I saw through the back curtain was the belly of a monster salmon as it made its way back to the water. They are out there just got to put your dues in. Todd of course was horsing the fish as usual lmao. Fish on!!!!!!