I love lake Champlain

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

I love lake Champlain

Post by Crazy Ivan »

i Haven’t posted in a while and I have wrote and erased this one 6 times!
It’s on! Get out if you can and have fun!
Pre storm bite is allways epic!
Todd
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Re: I love lake Champlain

Post by Surprise »

Todd & Ron you made me so HAPPY & ENVIOUS with your calls at work today!

I agree that Thanksgiving has several reasons to be Thankful and as you all know over time fishing starts now!

RALLY the Fleet Gang

Lakers are spawned out and the Biggie Salmon are next out to feed up before lake turn
Last edited by Surprise on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Sure was! Epic is a good characterization.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the report todd . the bigger salmon will be out there soon they are still spawning most on the ny side are spawning in the lake. glad you could get out now keep chasing them. my texts yesterday were very exciting to say the least.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Come on no pictures for those of us sitting in an office?
pnutbutter
Species: Trout

Post by pnutbutter »

Ok, help a new guy out... How do I get in on all this great fishing? The past few times I've been out (all shore fishing near Burlington, targeting rocky shoreline) it's been really slow.

I'm new to fishing Lake Champlain (most of my fishing has been on the west coast). What am I doing wrong?!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

pnutbutter wrote:Ok, help a new guy out... How do I get in on all this great fishing? The past few times I've been out (all shore fishing near Burlington, targeting rocky shoreline) it's been really slow.

I'm new to fishing Lake Champlain (most of my fishing has been on the west coast). What am I doing wrong?!
Post here --> https://www.lakechamplainunited.com/for ... m.php?f=18 that you are looking for a ride...bump it, update it often...someone will invite you along!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Salmon bite around BTV is not great. Gotta go north into Inland Sea, or south converse or bellow. I am not sure of what is down that way for accessible shore fishing, but my completely untested guess of a best spot on the VT side to try for lake Salmon from shore would be to head down to the point of Button Bay, the water in front of that area is known as Scotch Bonnet and is good salmon fishing, imagine the shore on the west facing side would produce as well if you can get in a good cast. Fishy1 is the shore fishing expert on the lake and probably has some ideas. On the NY side I think right past the bridge there are some spots that people fish in the spring. Up north of burlington, the causeway bridge in milton/south hero is a popular spot too.

Also as Raz said post in the ride wanted section. Give when you are available and someone will offer up a ride!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

keithm87 wrote: Fishy1 is the shore fishing expert on the lake and probably has some ideas.
He's the Master. Caster.
The best guy from the shoreline I've met yet!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
yankee roller
Species: 'locks

Post by yankee roller »

Button Bay State Park to Scotch Bonnett to Mile Point was loaded with bait and 16"-19" salmon a week ago... 15' to 30' over 80-100. There are some deeper spots close to shore where this would be in casting range between Scotch Bonnett and Mile Point likely.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

hi pnutbutter i must have missed your post i thought you were fishing in a boat. couple of questions what are you targeting lakers or salmon the norm for shore fishing is usually there not in the same area. i fish the rocky ledges and rocky bottom for lakers in the fall because thats where lakers spawn in rocks. but the salmon like sandy bottoms or pebbles with the forage smelt or alewifes. on the vt side i would fish basin harbor when they close scotch bonnet arnolds bay the champlain bridge on the ny side the crown point pier area port henry the boat launch and pier and whallons bay all others except for the streams are private and thats a big problem since i have bought a angler 8 to get to those great spots. the salmon right now are spread out and you should be able to catch them at any of these spots you will have to put your time in though once you find them stay on them as they wont go very far and will come in and out. just to let you know im catching a mixture of spawning salmon and silvers on a private lot and im catching them in 1 to 3 fow and i can actually see them when they hit. most of the bottom is sandy and if you dont see them and dont get a hit be patient they will come back. i havent been on the vt side shore fishing except for otter creek but im thinking there are salmon all along the shore in the spots i mentioned. there have been some caught on the crown point pier but they are bait fisherman. i would recommend 3/8 ounce krocodiles the short ones to cast in the wind and honey bee casting lures. the kastmasters really cast far out but i get mostly lakers on them. rainbow color kroc is my favorite with the white bottom not silver and the blue sardine uv. honey bees its the trout pattern and the fishy1. good luck and if you need more info just ask oh one more thing always bring a net. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the texts Todd... Amazing bite you were on... Glad to have you aboard 11/26 for the guided tour of the southern lake... That should be an epic day... Right now we are planning on a trip down on the 19th. I am putting an international crew together that will scout the waters for our 26th trip.

Looking forward to it, as the BEST fishing of the year is upon us..... days of 50 salmon are REAL.

If your boat is wrapped up your missing the fun fest.... (This is the season I put the most hrs on Reelax)
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Yup... we did 49 with over half of them Brown trout! Amazing... what a bite... bird tornados all over!
Matt B
FishDR
Species: Salmon

Post by FishDR »

My last 2 outings on Champlain we have gone 58 for 65 in 7.5 hours. 38 Salmon,12 Browns,7 Lakers and 1 Steelhead! 3 rods only for the second half of the second trip as my ball broke off into the transom(didn’t lose it).Didn’t have time to fix it while the bite was on. Best stretch of fishing ever for numbers! It’s definitely on!!!
CHEROOKE
Species: landlock salmon , rainbow,

Post by CHEROOKE »

how is the lauching condition at the converse ramp after a cold day

thanks