Btv to 4 brothers 8/19

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Btv to 4 brothers 8/19

Post by keithm87 »

Launched at cg with 802fishtail in hopes to get on some lakers. Forecast was for calm wind, and sun perfect for laker fishing. We headed out to the hump to find 7 boats already fishing it, including 3 jigging. That is the most boats I’ve ever seen on that spot.
We set gear and found the temp break way lower than I was hoping down almost 70. Trolled around the hump a couple times with no luck. Saw other boats using cowbell rigs hooking up, but I can’t bring myself to put that much gear in the water as you get no fight with them. I got sick of avoiding the joggers who were sitting on the best spots, and decided to head south. South of the hump coming towards juniper we had a release, the fish was on for a second then gone. Then another release and George landed a small laker. Reset those rods and had another release. I landed a mid 20 laker that we went swimming. As we were playing with gear my slide diver went nuts, bent over farther than I’ve ever seen, 3 big hits, and then it stopped. I immediately knew we had been broken off by a big fish. Before we even got the rod out of the holder the fish had broken us off on 10lb test flouro. Frustrated I switched the line to 20lb and reset the gear. That fish told his friends, and it went dead in the area. We trolled between the green cans to the easy side of juniper, and I went to bottom bounce the 98foot flat, when I came to the realization that the rigger I cut off on the shipwreck was low on cable, AND the cable wasn’t crimped to the spool. I managed to grad the steel cable as it came off the spool, and let me just say 12 lb balls and steel cable don’t feel great in the hands. After 10 minutes of fighting with it, we got the cable back on the spool and the rigger back up.
By this time the spot I had gone to avoid boats had a number of boats, and we weren’t catching anything to justify dealing with it. I decided with a tiny bit of chop and a refreshing breeze that mid day salmon was a worthwhile endeavor, so we pulled gear and headed across the lake. We saw a flock of birds, and decided to harass them, they were sitting on a nice bait pod, with arches coming off it, but we couldn’t entice any takers. We worked the outer ridge of 4 brothers, starting on he east side and trollling around to the west. We picked up a laker, and then the slide diver fired again as we were circling back. George got on the rod, and I told him that it was 20lb test, and to give it hell. He cranked it in to almost the boat, and then it decided to get feisty and pull some drag. It was staying down, so I just assumed laker, so I was getting ready to boatside release, when we finally saw it and it was a nice salmon. Grabbed the net and in the boat came a 24 inch 5 lb salmon with 2 big lamprey attached.
Excited we reset he gear, and looped around, we had a good fish hit the rigger cheater but I blew it. Kept trolling until 330 picking up a couple more lakers, but the salmon was definitely the trip maker.
Attachments
579903CC-2978-41B9-9AF7-1B13CF735531.jpeg
579903CC-2978-41B9-9AF7-1B13CF735531.jpeg (235.68 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Btv to 4 brothers 8/19

Post by tmcaul »

Beautiful salmon. Great report, Keith.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice Salmon Keith. We lost 3 good salmon Saturday after they did a tail dance. I don't think they were as big as yours.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice fish! I might have to get back out there after seeing that!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your report Keith. Glad you were able to save that rigger ball. Nice salmon.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Nice fish! Great report too....
Riddler
Crestliner1850
Species: LAKERS AND SALMON

Post by Crestliner1850 »

Great report and beautiful fish. I 'm wondering what is your setup for lakers. I always use cowbell rigs and it definitely kills the fight.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very nice looking salmon Keith!!! Nice report..
Matt B
Bulldogbish
Species: Salmon, Lakers

Post by Bulldogbish »

Great looking fish. I love when they surprise you and its a big salmon bulldogging. Usually makes for some stressful net jobs, great job all around getting on em.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

an awsome salmon and great report. very interesting :D
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Crestliner1850 wrote:Great report and beautiful fish. I 'm wondering what is your setup for lakers. I always use cowbell rigs and it definitely kills the fight.
I run a single spin n glow (1 3/4 inch I think?) in green clown with green Mylar wings, 12 inches behind a 00 Jensen metal dodger 5-7 ft from ball. THat takes most of our lakers, but this year we have done really well on a 2 3/4 Michigan stinger tuxedo black uv set 5 foot above the spin glo and 10 foot off the ball on my big job that runs straight off the side. Not sure if the 4 foot boom coupled with he boat movement equates to extra action down deep but it works on that rigger and not the others so must be something.

As for netting... we for some reason don’t usually have much issue netting salmon when we get them to the boat. Even the one we caught in the prop wash this spring that was just shy of 7 was in the net less than 30 seconds from hookset. The slide diver with ultimate kit though really does wonders to keep the leepers in the water. Hard for them to get 6pz lead airborne haha
Crestliner1850

Post by Crestliner1850 »

Thank you for the detailed info Keith. I also use the no. 1 regular slide diver (lite bite). It works well for me when the temp brake is maximum 35 to 40 feet down, it's hard to get it deeper with the 30 pound mono I have on my reel.
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Add a dive kit to the slide diver, and it will get DEEP
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Nice fish. Great way to end a day. I am with you when it comes to pulling a lot of Tin. I may catch a few less fish but sure have a better fight especially with light rods.
Crestliner1850

Post by Crestliner1850 »

keithm87 wrote:Add a dive kit to the slide diver, and it will get DEEP
I will try that.