Lamprey Removal

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Lamprey Removal

Post by C-Hawk »

Had a first ever experience while fishing near Stave on Saturday. I was checking some of my historically productive late season steelhead and big salmon spots , when the probe side rigger fired, the reel screaming and the tip bent almost to the water. This was instant adrenaline as I hadn't had a release all day. The bait was at 65, just above the break over 80 fow, so I know it wasn't a Laker. I'm thinking steelie all the way as I grabbed the rod and felt the pull for 3 seconds. Totally disappointed, I still could feel a little bit of drag on my line, and reeled in an impaled lamprey. Evidently, a big fish must have slashed at the lure and on his luckiest day ever, I promply pulled the lamprey off. I have caught lamprey before, but never felt a fish in the process. Bummer, this was my chance of the summer, but if that lamprey held , would it have been a legal catch?
Attachments
This is not a great pic
This is not a great pic
KIMG0161.JPG (117.33 KiB) Viewed 746 times
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Lamprey Removal

Post by BottomDollar »

That's nuts. Congrats?
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow jeff ugh
:o :o :o :o :o
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

I think we need a master angler class for these “fish”. Catch and keep only. Min length of say 18 inches and sign that you have not intentionally released any shorter to grow up.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Jeff a few years ago we landed a Lake Trout that was only caught by the Lamprey and lost a couples others the same way you did they fight like crazy when the are only hooked by the Lamprey
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I caught and filleted a lamprey just like that back a few years ago off Split Rock. Never saw the fish but copped a good feel.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry