BTV 8/4

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

BTV 8/4

Post by keithm87 »

Vinny and I decided the forecast looked like a winner on saturday. We were planning a CG launch, only to find the launch closed for the Dragon Boat festival. Traffic was redirected to Perkins Pier, a new launch for me. The launch there is almost vertical which was a new experience. We were on the water for 7:15, and headed out towards the hump I have been fishing the last couple weeks. I decided that I wanted to explore as conditions were very salmony (light wind creating a nice little chop, and overcast).
We set gear in the trench between the hump and appletree bay, and trolled the edge of the drop where the bay goes from 70fow to 100+. First 15 minutes we had a release and landed a decent laker, then 2 more releases in the 10 minutes that followed. One laker, and one miss. We continued north along the drop with plans to troll to mallets. The wind was picking up a bit, but it was still a nice ride. We had 3 riggers and a slide diver set between 60-70ft with cheaters on 2 riggers. We had a strike on one of the cheaters but missed that, and then it went dead. At around 9 I decided that I wasn't going to chase what wasnt there, and headed back to where we had gotten the bites. As soon as we got back to the area we started getting hits. We kept on steady to busy action from 10-1:30 including a nice laker that was in the 11lb class, and one surprise laker caught on a cheater on our shallow rigger (must have been in 25-30ft at 73 degrees).
At around 12:30 we looked north and the weather looked sketchy. Checked the wunderground radar, and it all looked like it was going to hit north of us. Over the following hour we watched it close, and it started to creep south. the other boat out in the area pulled their gear and headed in as the storm started to cross the lake towards us. I really wanted to get to the magic 20 fish number, but decided that it wasn't a great idea to stay out with thunder storms coming. We pulled gear and scooted in. As we were loading up we could see the storm coming in, and then the wind hit, the whole lake became white caps in a matter of minutes. Glad we got out when we did. On shore we met forum member Cas and chatted with him for a couple of minutes, and then I watched a guy with a nice 2075 tyee trying to load his boat solo with the 20mph winds. I ran over to help him out. He seemed quite happy. Always nice to be able to help a fellow angler!

In all we landed 18 lakers, and had at least 25 hits, no salmon unfortunately. Best lure of the day by miles was the UV Tuxedo black Michigan stinger that has become a nearly full time presentation, it had 60% or more of our strikes. The spin n glo dodger setup put in work as well but was not as on fire as usual. All in all a great day on the water. Wish the weather had held off a bit, as in the hour prior to leaving we had landed 6 fish.
48D2C83F-9807-4E6C-974B-B4AF329F190B.jpeg
48D2C83F-9807-4E6C-974B-B4AF329F190B.jpeg (229.66 KiB) Viewed 844 times
F7E82DA3-75A5-4D87-8282-D1C0FB18CDBB.jpeg
F7E82DA3-75A5-4D87-8282-D1C0FB18CDBB.jpeg (169.46 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Last edited by keithm87 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: BTV 8/4

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Keith. Looks like you got your share of lakers today. Always fun.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

Nice report Keith, we weren't far behind you, but we decided to fish the 4 brothers. Like you we got chased away and waited out the storm just inside Shelburne bay.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow you guys are crushing it!
Thanks for the excellent report-- I keep learning from every report, and I can use all the help I can get :lol:
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great job guys and a great report as always. keith what is your usual speed for lakers?
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

fishy1 wrote:great job guys and a great report as always. keith what is your usual speed for lakers?
I try to run 1.8-2.2 as the top end gives me a shot at stray salmon. But my boat likes to go 1.6-1.8 in its lowest throttle setting and often we end up there as it’s not super responsive to change, goin 1.6 make slight adjustment and all the sudden we will be at 3.5. But when it’s being nice 2 is my ideal spot.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

keithm87 wrote:
fishy1 wrote:great job guys and a great report as always. keith what is your usual speed for lakers?
I try to run 1.8-2.2 as the top end gives me a shot at stray salmon. But my boat likes to go 1.6-1.8 in its lowest throttle setting and often we end up there as it’s not super responsive to change, goin 1.6 make slight adjustment and all the sudden we will be at 3.5. But when it’s being nice 2 is my ideal spot.
we always like to run for salmon and lakers 2.2. mph. this seemed to be the best speed for us down in the southern part of the lake. when fishing with my son we always keep it at 2.2 targav18 also 2.2 and reel fun the same.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I didn't do as well as you but our friends' son wanted to go fishing and I got him a couple anyhow. We did high tail it out before the storm
Attachments
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG (167.31 KiB) Viewed 642 times
________
Mike
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Don't worry about 2.0, 2.1, 2.2,2.3! I don't believe that there are many, if any, units available that can consistently measure that difference from one boat to another or from one unit to another. The point in all speed measurements is relevancy to your boat and your equipment and your sweet spots with the equipment that you are using.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen