South end salmon & Lakers

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Sawyer
Species: All

South end salmon & Lakers

Post by Sawyer »

Fishing solo on Friday i went up to Arnolds bay and launched around 7.30 AM to see if i could catch a laker or two. I set up in 130 FOW where my finder was showing fish from the bottom up to 80 ft so i but on a big white and pink laker spoon and put it down 85 ft and used a purple and black small spoon on a 4ft cheater. My fish hawk was on the blitz in the morning so i was fishing blind. befour i got rod 2 out i could see the first rod shaking and pulled up a small salmon on the laker spoon. Rod 2 i tryed Keith's spin & Glow rig and dropped it to the bottom along with a green mp6 on a cheater and with in minutes got another small salmon on that cheate. in the next 2 hours i released 8 salmon one was about 4 lbs. Whent back to camp for the day and got the fish hawk working and went back to the same spot at 6 PM this time i used a silver and blew crocodile down at 55 where the water temp was 55. Around 7pm i could see the fish start comming up in the water column then about 7.30 i got 2 nice salmon about 3 or 4 Lbs each witch i put on ice. fish until dark with no more hits. 10 Salmon 0 Lake trout. Go Figure
I tryed jigging befour i started troling with no luck.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: South end salmon & Lakers

Post by fishy1 »

great report don. you got salmon and you even used a krocodile. :o :o :o
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

The only Salmon for 2018 as you know we did'nt well this spring. The krocodile is the same size and color as the one you used from shore this spring.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Two of the Big salmon had lampreys on them.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice job Don! Thanks for the fun read... glad to hear to got double digit silvers. That’s rare these days..
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Way to go Don. Nice post.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

We have wanted to fish new areas this year...

Set up south of Diamond Island and fished south in less than 100 FoW along VT shore. Picked up a couple of very small salmon. Then a 3lb salmon out in front of Basin Harbor. Kept heading south around Scotch Bonnet. South of Button Bay we had a good sized salmon on for quite a while and could see the fish in the water 25' behind the boat, but left it there for you guys to catch. OK, lost it, didn't just "leave it there for you guys".

Couple of notes:

Marked almost nothing most of the way south from Basin Harbor. We tried to fish along the break (shelf) where shallow water dropped off.
No lakers on the very long flat (60'-70' deep) south of Button Bay. Maybe too shallow for them.
Hooked one of the two larger salmon on a spoon behind a Pro-troll flasher. Other on a spoon behind a dipsy. (Corrected)
Fished shallower than usual - 45'-65'.
Fished salmon speed 2.5-2.8 mph.
Sorry, no current or water temp at depths we were fishing. Probe on Fish Hawk is damaged.
Last edited by tmcaul on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Nice to hear that someone is still trying.
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

@ dry net

What else are we going to do? Answer is, we go after lakers some of the time. But we troll to our laker hotspots hoping for salmon. Trouble is, speed especially is different for the two species.

Also, we had poor luck last summer, also. But we hung in there and were rewarded with good fishing later in the year.

Good luck, dry net.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

The bite in December was certainly worth the travel. We haven't given up yet either, fishing other lakes for a brake. Good luck to you!!!
Wilsborotrout
Species: Trout

Post by Wilsborotrout »

“Hooked one of the two larger salmon on a spoon behind a Pro-troll flasher. “

How far behind the flasher do you run your spoons ?
Wilsborotrout
Species: Trout

Post by Wilsborotrout »

tmcaul wrote: Hooked one of the two larger salmon on a spoon behind a Pro-troll flasher.

How far behind the flasher do you run your spoon ?
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

@Wilsborotrout

2-3Ft.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Don and I launched out of Arnold’s bay on Friday at 7:30 am for lakers by trolling the same pattern as he he had done last weekend. Again no lakers but quite satisfied with 3 salmon (1 keeper), 1 steelhead, and 1 brown. And today, we went out for pan fish and had found a hot spot for small mouth bass. 2 of them quite big -trophy fish (kept 1 of them and released the biggest one), and a handful of yellows. And beat the storm coming in.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great job don and traci keep after them. your on fire. :D :D :D