shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

stayed close to home today and tried and spot that there is a drop from 2 fow to 12 fow. started fishing at 6:15 am with 2 worm rods. before i could even get the 2nd rod out i land a small smallie. toss it back out and fish on i land a pumpkinseed. toss it back out and hits bottom and fish on i land a yellow perch. it was like this until i left at 10:30 am. i landed lots of sunnies yellow perch a few whites 4 smallies 4 bullhead and 9 sheephead. everything on the small size for me though except for the bullhead they were big lakers. i idid keep 18 yellows over 8 inches 12 sunnies 7 inches or more and the 2 big bullhead. i never fished this spot and definetly would go back since its 10 minutes from my house and on the vt. side. water is low and this spot is easy access on shore.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice pic Matt
Attachments
8928.jpeg
8928.jpeg (94.87 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/14/2018 stayed close to home again this morning in the rain and went over to the vt side to fish.not impressive size wise but landed lots of yellow perch and some sunnies. also caught 2 largemouth bass 12 inches or so and 1 smallie about 8 inches. had i good size fish on and lost it thinking a sheephead. i kept 26 yellow perch for john bezon my bait man.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/15/2018 headed up north for some shore fishing this morning and my search for a 10 foot join boat for my pickup. started fishing at 7:15 am in 12 fow with 2 worm rods. nothing for 10 minutes looked down and 4 other fisherman were quiet to. saw some minnows on the surface to my left and in close so i started to drag bottom and bang right close fish on i land a nice yellow perch. from then on with 1 rod the bite was steady until i left at 11 am. landed lots of nice size pumpkinseeds and yellows and ended up keeping a half of a cooler.wow incredible morning just because the bite never stopped. stopped at 2 boat dealers and no 10 foot jon boats but one is going to check for me if they can get one here within 2 weeks. one dealer had a 12 footer but to heavy 126 lbs . a jon boat is a tough find used and then not in very good shape.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's a nice pumpkinseed from Matt
Attachments
9019.jpeg
9019.jpeg (127.99 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/16/2018 headed back up north this morning for some more shore fishing . the bite was slow but picked up around 8:30 am mostly pumpkinseeds but good size. a freind brought his grandchildren down and fished next to me and they did well and had fun. they gave me the bigger ones and when i got home i filleted 38 seeds and 5 yellow perch.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Yum, I do love those tasty sunfish. I got into some nice bluegills the other day, quite by accident.
That's pretty exciting that you're shopping for a boat! Is there a device, or some method to make it easier to load it into the truck?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Yum, I do love those tasty sunfish. I got into some nice bluegills the other day, quite by accident.
That's pretty exciting that you're shopping for a boat! Is there a device, or some method to make it easier to load it into the truck?
those sunnies are delicious and freeze well. looking into different set ups to pull the boat to the water from the pickup. any ideas from anyone will be appreciated. cant get a tracker delivered until october
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/18/2018 went shore fishing for what i call anything that bites today with channel cat (scott) joining me. introduced him to my kind of simple fishing with worms and a sinker. we had a blast and scott had lots of fun you could see the excitement on his face. we set up on the other side of the big pond in one of my favorite places to fish. it didnt take long for the bite as it was immediatly and we were catching everything bullhead sheephead white perch and bass. i lost a big fish that had scott scampering for a net but it released i believe the fish was foul hooked. then scott hooked into something big that ran his line into shore as he was reeling as fast as he can but couldnt catch it and it came off. we had some laughs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: to as scott was pulling in a fish and his other rod bobbing to so i grabbed it and he had his other line . the rod he was holding got hung up so he broke it pulled the other rod in and that was the one with the fish on. :lol: :lol: :lol: we had a great day on the water brought home 3/4 of a cooler of bullhead and white perch. some of the fish that we dont eat didnt go to waste and we fed several ospreys. i think i found my jon boat will try and have jeff post pics later.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Matt will be in style with this rig. I think I see a spot for downriggers.
Attachments
9159.jpeg
9159.jpeg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice rig.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/20/2018 went over across the big pond again this morning solo and the bite was still there and even bigger white perch and bullhead. i got there at 6;50 am and the bite was there as there was a good current to keep the fish active so i fished with 1 worm rod. the bites were very aggressive as soon as it hit bottom. lots of white were 9 inches to 12 inches so i became fussy what to keep unless they were hooked badly. ended up with a cooler almost full of whites and a few good size bullhead although i landed many bullhead. one nice sheephead and 3 smallies 1 nice one i kept for dinner. didnt have much time for pics so i took a pic of the cooler before i left. the highlight of the morning was a osprey swiping a good size mullet i let go 15 feet from me. :o :o :o it got it up in the air a little then flew directly over a boat and dropped the mullet maybe 25 feet from them. in the morning a nice fisherman was launching a hobie and we shared some fishing stories . he had more fishing equipment on that hobie then a 18 foot boat and it was all well planned out. was just amazin. he was going out fishing lakers and salmon.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's Matt's pics, nice batch of fish
Attachments
9170.jpeg
9170.jpeg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
9172.jpeg
9172.jpeg (130.46 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
9174.jpeg
9174.jpeg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
9176.jpeg
9176.jpeg (123.79 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow! nice cooler-full!
As you know, I ended up in the same spot for the afternoon/evening in my kayak. I've really had to work for my crappies this year. I found them right on the bottom, tight to structure. The current seemed unusually fast, and I had to drop shot with a heavy sinker to get down to them. I managed 5 keeper crappies, all on the small side around 9". I caught one small channel cat.

Man, those ospreys are incredible! Must have been great to see it in action so close.

I intended to make my way out to the lake to troll the depths, but it was so pleasant on the river that I stayed.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/21/2018 hit the same spot this morning solo again on the other side of the big pond. started fishing at 7:15 am with the bullhead on fire. one worm rod with a pretty good current. my goal today was to catch a walleye so if the current got stronger i would go to my go to lure moon eye jig tipped with a crawler. around 8:45 am the current seemed to be a bit stronger so switched rods and went to the moon eye jig. didnt plan on keeping many fish today so with this and the bigger hook 1/2 ounce jig most fish will be hard to hook. 9:15 am tossed it out hit bottom started rolling a bit and boom rod went right down and fish on and a walleye only to lose it 6 feet off shore. then at 10:20 after catching some big whites on it the rod was bending very slowly and fish on and a good one i land a 22 inch walleye. made my day what a great feeling as i knew they were there just needed a little luck current and the moon eye jig. put it in the cooler and and continued fishing. then at 11:25 am getting ready to go home tossed my line out hit bottom and took off up against the current fish on and it to was a walleye close to 18 inches estimated so i didnt take it out of the water just released it since i had the eye in the cooler. ended up keeping 6 bullhead for the morning and 14 whites but caught plenty. the ospreys also had lunch. :D :D :D :D :D